Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Looks like it was stripped for parts.......MANY parts, even the key guards. Unless you have all of the keys and guards for a VI, it's nothing more than a flower planter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
No way of telling how it got that way but it has seen a lot of abuse in it's time.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,138 Posts
The keys are all missing and there's nothing left but a junky looking brass tube with holes in it. Maybe worth $100 for scrap. I agree it's just what's left after it was parted out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,343 Posts
well, if you write down the serial number this horn will reappear some time from now as a relacquered version of itself somewhere.

Mind you the price is absolutely crazy. I don’t know what the Russian vendor thinks. In any case it is worth more than $100 but considerably less than $2600.

Which makes me think that this deal is not bat at all, considering that it is a good playing Mark VI.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...-tenor-with-good-overhaul-3800-shipped-to-USA!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,361 Posts
Nearly $3k for that piece of rubbish?! Man, I can't imagine how anyone could fall for this (well, unfortunately I guess I can). Here's part of the description:

"After all, the basis of that branded Mark vi sound, and this is the resonance of the metal, which you will have in your hands, and the rest is a matter of fantasy. The case of Selmer in the kit, the case was a bit melted from the spotlights and has a slight distortion. Good luck to you."

I put a few key phrases in bold. It's a fantasy for sure and "good luck to you" indeed if you fall for this!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I made an offer for it at $50 (plus $130 shipping) due the case maybe having some value. Auto-rejected of course.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
well, if you write down the serial number this horn will reappear some time from now as a relacquered version of itself somewhere.

Mind you the price is absolutely crazy. I don’t know what the Russian vendor thinks. In any case it is worth more than $100 but considerably less than $2600.

Which makes me think that this deal is not bat at all, considering that it is a good playing Mark VI.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...-tenor-with-good-overhaul-3800-shipped-to-USA!
Mine isn't a bad deal at all, it's original and plays incredibly well, better than the other VI tenors I've owned with exception of my 94XXX. It's a good VI for a student that wants to get on a recently overhauled VI or for someone who wants a gig horn that they don't have to worry about scratching the lacquer out in the wild. If nobody buys it I'm happy to keep it as a backup. That Russian horn looks like it got attacked by crackheads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,343 Posts
I am certain that your horn is a good deal and even more so, compared to the one which caused the starting of the thread, infinitely better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
Sure.
1. The horn was purchased shortly after it was manufactured. It was pressed at once into hard service in the road band scene. In 1973 it was played on the underground debut album "Zombie" by the Swamp Carib artist, Zion, at the Voudoun studios, "almost live" in New Orleans, La. Oct. 31. It's only claim to fame.

2. At the album release party early in 1974 the horn was dropped from a balcony and struck a railing below, bending it nearly in half at the hook ring. Zion raged, but ended up sending it to a repair shop. The estimate was so huge that the horn languished there for decades.

3. Finally, the shop owner considered the horn to be abandoned and started using it for parts to repair other horns.

4. When he died the contents of his shop got parceled out to various relatives. His nephew doing business in St. Petersburg took a blind selection on the available items, snagging a mark 6 sight unseen and ended up with it.

5. Now it is being placed on the market, without delineating the provenance necessary to support the suggested value.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Sure.
1. The horn was purchased shortly after it was manufactured. It was pressed at once into hard service in the road band scene. In 1973 it was played on the underground debut album "Zombie" by the Swamp Carib artist, Zion, at the Voudoun studios, "almost live" in New Orleans, La. Oct. 31. It's only claim to fame.

2. At the album release party early in 1974 the horn was dropped from a balcony and struck a railing below, bending it nearly in half at the hook ring. Zion raged, but ended up sending it to a repair shop. The estimate was so huge that the horn languished there for decades.

3. Finally, the shop owner considered the horn to be abandoned and started using it for parts to repair other horns.

4. When he died the contents of his shop got parceled out to various relatives. His nephew doing business in St. Petersburg took a blind selection on the available items, snagging a mark 6 sight unseen and ended up with it.

5. Now it is being placed on the market, without delineating the provenance necessary to support the suggested value.
I think you've almost got the whole story. The only correction would be that after it fell off the balcony, the shop they took it to in New Orleans was Saxgourmet "world headquarters." They asked for a full overhaul and what you see now is the result. It probably ended up in Russia exactly how you told the story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts