Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of the limitations of your Mark VI?
Get rid of those pesky, awkward palm keys.
Comes with a real front F key.
And of course keyed to High-G.

Comes with a special aged finish.

What more could you ask for?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professioa...m=182569944505&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

They call it a Mark VI. They ever say it is a Selmer, so it is not really a counterfeit just an updated copy.

Rheuben Allen was having his Kenny G saxes made in China. In desperation, he went over and lived in China trying to control quality. Eventually, he gave up and went with Tenon out of Taiwan. They are a bit expensive, but I’ve heard one review that they play really well.

In any case, I wondered if this horn was made by one of his past suppliers, or if it was an independent group that developed it.

It just struck me as odd somehow.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I like the glove on the woman 's hand. It looks like it was spray painted on.

Take another look: there are palm keys on this instrument.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the "Profesioanl" model.

Obviously.
Well, that is very clearly stated.

RE: Palm keys - They are independent kind with the tone holes off-center rather than the mechanism on rods with the centerline tone holes people occasionally complain about on Selmer Mark VIs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,269 Posts
I used to visit Rheuben Allen regularly when he had his shop in North Hollywood. We became friends, etc. He did a few horns for me and sold me one (a new Unison alto - which was an excellent alto).

I saw him at the NAMM show one year with International Woodwinds and also once when he was selling the Kenny G-labeled sopranos which looked just like the Mark VI soprano in the linked eBay auction in the OP. The only difference was the Kenny G scribe not being on the eBay Mark VI and the newer left palm keys.

I played two of the Kenny G sopranos and they were nice players - but very expensive (something like $4K if I remember correctly). Kenny G was also at the booth at times.

I think it IS strange that some manufacturer would make a new soprano using the old Mark VI design (well, except for the forked palm keys) with the bell-pads being on top of the tube and the older style left pinky table. Of course, Yanagisawa did that many years ago and so did Antigua. But since then, almost everyone switched over to the modern left pinky table and the bell pads underneath the tube.

I don't know how difficult it would be for a factory, set up to make modern sopranos, to revert back to older designs - obviously, they did it. Curious - yes. DAVE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts