Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I know of at least one reputable dealer that is selling Big Bs in similar condition as yours around 2k. I ought to know, because that's what I paid for my 305,xxx Big B in very similar condition to yours...excellent lacquer, fresh pads (although I have Noyeks), spot on intonation.

I do have to question if the horn is as good as you describe it, why get rid of it? What else could be in your stable that would make you want to part with it?

Having spent over six months with mine, I'm definitely in the bandwagon that the Big B and 156 Aristocrats are among the most underrated and undervalued saxophones on the market today. For me to have purchased a 10M of similar vintage and in similar condition to my Big B, I would have had to have paid at least an additional $500 - $750, and the Big B is by far the better horn.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This horn is most definitely the best horn I have. (Dave it’s a small bell) I also have a Martin Troubadour Alto that’s from 1932. There is really no problem other than seeing it sit in its stand day after day as I trudge off to work or out of town on business. I manage to play it 3 or 4 times a week on average I guess. I am currently “between ensembles” so selling it is a thought that has been germinating for a few months. It’s just a shame to see it sit. I imagine you are right…..horns like this don’t come around very often and I would kick myself for selling it. Seller’s remorse has to be as bad as buyer’s remorse. Thank you all for your advice.

·
3,240 Posts
Dont sell it or you will regret it later as the small bell B's or its really a series 1 with ribbon guards , are seriously good horns. I would put it in its case so you dont keep seeing it.
Dave

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,760 Posts
You'll definitely regret it at some point if you sell that horn. What happens when you get the itch to play again? You'll start looking around for another tenor, be shocked at the prices, and may not be able to find anything that plays as well as you remember that Buescher you once owned and let go for less than it was worth. Trust me, this will happen.

Califax, I'm wondering on what you base the statement that these horns are overrated? Of course everyone has their preferences, but I wonder if you've played a Big B (small bell or large bell) that was set up properly in good playing condition? I'll admit that some of us go a bit over the top in our praise when we discover a great-playing horn, but still I haven't seen the prices (one indicator of over- or underrating) on these vintage Bueschers skyrocket the way they have for a MK VI or Super 20. The one exception might be the TH&C tenor, but Steve Goodson's comment about it being the best horn ever might have something to do with that.

·
3,240 Posts
I doubt if SG's rating of any horn would cause a price hike otherwise his own line would be more over-priced then what they are . Also i would like to find out why you think they are overated also
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't sell it!!!!

Here, this should make you feel better
I own 4 fiddles and 6 bows
a Breedlove mandolin
a Trinity College octave mandolin
an Alvarez Acoustic Guitar
and Ensoniq SQ2 keyboard
a Gibson EB3 Bass
A Gibson tenor Banjo
A Conn C-Melody Sax
A Buescher Big-B tenor sax
a Buescher 156 tenor sax
A Tenor sax of unknown European lineage (an Orpheum) that weighs a ton and plays too good to ever sell
a Martin Lyon and Healy stencil soprano sax
and two alto's that never get played - ever (I really should sell these but one looks just like the Orpheum and I have never seen horns like these anywhere. They have no great value but I like em!)
a Didgeridoo or two
and yet more!

Some days I can hardly walk through the house. See you don't have a problem at all!!!!

You will regret it if you sell that sax. Almost for certain.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,760 Posts
calisax said:
Big B's, highly overrated IMO.:|
I'm still curious about this statement. I'm not challenging your assertion, calisax (well maybe I'm challenging it a little bit, since I don't agree), but I'm really curious how you came to this conclusion. Can you give us some more info? I could write a dissertation on all the reasons why I think these old Bueschers are underrated, but numerous posts by many who have discovered the Bueschers already spell it out pretty well. Can you give us something to back up your side of the equation? Again, I'm just curious; we all have our opinions and experiences to back them up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
My Big B is a great sounding horn and I feel very under-appreciated (under-valued).

·
Registered
710 Posts
Big "B" ?

I seriously want a "B" .. for years now .. I often bid on ebay on the trashed ones.. that I hope to put into shape but some will not ship out of USA or seem dodgy like the woman who wanted to cash a cheque before shipping (last week)

Frz in Toronto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
589 Posts
hgiles said:
My Big B is a great sounding horn and I feel very under-appreciated (under-valued).
under-appreciated = over-depreciated

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.