Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,869 Posts
Now that it's cleared up and it is a tenor, yes that's a great horn. You won't get what it's really worth, but they are going for a pretty good price these days. If, and only if, it's in good playing condition, I wouldn't let it go for less than $2000. Actually if it was mine, I'd keep it. Are you a player?? If so, why not keep it and play it?

·
23,869 Posts
10mfan said:
It says TENOR in the first line of his description.....
From reading the posts, my guess is he edited it later to say tenor. And I realize Al might have seemed to come on strong about it, but if you've read 20,000 posts in the past that ask about a horn and don't specify which horn, you'd feel the same as Al. I can relate......

Also, I would suggest to babalu to do a search for Big B tenor, or just scan the Buescher posts over the past few years to get an idea of how highly regarded these tenors are. Prices are highly dependent on condition, and from his description, it sounds like this particular one is in great shape.

·
23,869 Posts
If it's in the kind of condition described, $1500 would be a hell of a deal, but it may be the "going rate" (i.e., undervalued). I have one of these (in silver-plate) and it definitely rivals my MK VI and surpasses it in some ways.

Babalu, I'm still curious about why you would sell it?! Unless you already have a couple of great tenors and don't need another one.

·
23,869 Posts
You'll definitely regret it at some point if you sell that horn. What happens when you get the itch to play again? You'll start looking around for another tenor, be shocked at the prices, and may not be able to find anything that plays as well as you remember that Buescher you once owned and let go for less than it was worth. Trust me, this will happen.

Califax, I'm wondering on what you base the statement that these horns are overrated? Of course everyone has their preferences, but I wonder if you've played a Big B (small bell or large bell) that was set up properly in good playing condition? I'll admit that some of us go a bit over the top in our praise when we discover a great-playing horn, but still I haven't seen the prices (one indicator of over- or underrating) on these vintage Bueschers skyrocket the way they have for a MK VI or Super 20. The one exception might be the TH&C tenor, but Steve Goodson's comment about it being the best horn ever might have something to do with that.

·
23,869 Posts
calisax said:
Big B's, highly overrated IMO.:|
I'm still curious about this statement. I'm not challenging your assertion, calisax (well maybe I'm challenging it a little bit, since I don't agree), but I'm really curious how you came to this conclusion. Can you give us some more info? I could write a dissertation on all the reasons why I think these old Bueschers are underrated, but numerous posts by many who have discovered the Bueschers already spell it out pretty well. Can you give us something to back up your side of the equation? Again, I'm just curious; we all have our opinions and experiences to back them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts