Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I have Buescher Big B, Tenor S/N 296500, and am considering selling it. Dave at Junkdude set it up several months ago and I can not imagine a nicer horn. It has all the snap-ins and the springs are in great shape.. The pads are like new. The laquer is about 98% and a very cool honey color. Definately original. The intonation is spot on from top to bottom. It has no dents , dings or repairs and it just plain rocks.
Do you guys think there would be much interest in this sax? For like..say...six figures? L0L What do ya'll think is fair?

Desi

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Babalu said:
...do u care or are you just being a snob? BTW the S/N is a tell.....
I cared until that comment. Now I don't. And not all of us are s/n experts or even want to go look it up or know how. But why do we have to? It's easy. Just type T-E-N-O-R. The T is on the top row under the numbers, 5th letter from the left. Let us know if you need help finding the others. Sheesh.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Al.....I see that being a Snob is not intentional....you are what you are.
And the six figures was a joke.....I know what its worth. Could you try and be a little more civil?
Sheesh.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,760 Posts
Now that it's cleared up and it is a tenor, yes that's a great horn. You won't get what it's really worth, but they are going for a pretty good price these days. If, and only if, it's in good playing condition, I wouldn't let it go for less than $2000. Actually if it was mine, I'd keep it. Are you a player?? If so, why not keep it and play it?

·
23,760 Posts
10mfan said:
It says TENOR in the first line of his description.....
From reading the posts, my guess is he edited it later to say tenor. And I realize Al might have seemed to come on strong about it, but if you've read 20,000 posts in the past that ask about a horn and don't specify which horn, you'd feel the same as Al. I can relate......

Also, I would suggest to babalu to do a search for Big B tenor, or just scan the Buescher posts over the past few years to get an idea of how highly regarded these tenors are. Prices are highly dependent on condition, and from his description, it sounds like this particular one is in great shape.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
JL said:
From reading the posts, my guess is he edited it later to say tenor.
That's right.
JL said:
but if you've read 20,000 posts in the past that ask about a horn and don't specify which horn, you'd feel the same as Al.
Perhaps you would. It's like reading an ad, "Chevrolet for sale. VIN nnnn"
JL said:
...and from his description, it sounds like this particular one is in great shape.
Yes it does. I was very interested. Those horns can be a real bargain. Great horns at reasonable prices; collectors haven't discovered them yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Big B

If you live near Dave of Junkdude fame - you might ask him. He certainly is in a good position to know what the market would be for your horn and is certainly an open and honest guy. He could probably even sell it for you if you could come to terms.

Ebay is not a good measure of value as everything tends to go cheaper there. Check out Cybersax, Junkdude, WorldwideSax, VintageSax and other online dealers who sell horns with a good provenence for the best retail price for a really good horn. Those places get more from their horns too because the buyer can expect them to be set up properly.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
For a private sale on SOTW, probably about 1500 ... but if the condition is really good with new or nearly new pads, perhaps a shade more. That allows some margin below what I think the dealers Oldar2 mentioned would be asking.

·
23,760 Posts
If it's in the kind of condition described, $1500 would be a hell of a deal, but it may be the "going rate" (i.e., undervalued). I have one of these (in silver-plate) and it definitely rivals my MK VI and surpasses it in some ways.

Babalu, I'm still curious about why you would sell it?! Unless you already have a couple of great tenors and don't need another one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Dave dix said:
More like 'highly underated ' , have you ever played a big B or 156 in good order? They are superb and often leave the highly overated mk6 for dead
Dave
Or an SBA. A young friend who is a monster on his Selmer tried my sad looking old 156 one night and wanted to buy it. Ditto my teacher.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.