Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone using Légère Classic Series reeds for tenor?

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Charlie J 
#1 ·
Can anyone provide a review of the Classic Series?

I'm looking for the synthetic reed that is the closest I can find to a Vandoren Traditional (blue box). Thanks!

#4 ·
On tenor, I used to use vandoren blue box reeds 2 and 2.5 and tried Legere Classic at 2.25. I did NOT like it.

Then tried Legere signature 2.0 formtenor and have really been liking it, a lot. Now moving to 2.25 as well in the signature series.

Love them on baritone as well.

Just ordered one for alto.

#6 ·
Not liking them on my tenor, but I do on alto for classical on my Vandoren OPt. AL3

#8 ·
That's probably true. I'm playing a 2.5 Classic on my Jody Jazz Jet and I really am not enjoying it. I don't get a nice feel using it, and oddly enough, it's really hard on the tip of my tongue. The 2.5 feels like a 3+ cane reed, and as someone else said, I'm having a tough time getting my low register to speak without blowing hard - eliminating the nice subtones and touch a softer reed produces.

The weird thing is that the las classic I tried was a 2.5 and it was too soft. The 2.5 on my alto is actually a little better than the 2.5 on my tenor.

#9 ·
I played one about three weeks ago.
Did not like the Classic 2 1/2 at all,in fact it was unplayable in the low notes.
Someone told me because they are much darker and more on the classical sound,i thought it was so stiff,and to kill myself to hear a note in the low register was nt exactly a great experience.
I am waiting for an exchange for a Signature Series,same strenght.
Hope that i get it this week,Barrie where they are in Canada is like a couple of hours away from where i live.
Regards
Saxobari

#10 ·
Today for the first time I am playing on Alto a No.3 Signature Legere synthetic reed. It gets a thumbs up for evenness of tone and intonation throughout the registers. I'm using it on a Metal Link Tonemaster 3*.

It had a very unique & huge sound on my STM Florida 6* but was not an easy blow. A 2.5 would have worked better with the 6* florida STM.

#11 ·
I guess I'm one of the few that uses Legere Classics on Tenor (and alto).

It's a bit unusual in that I play 90% loud Rock n Soul, as most people who play this bag use Signatures. First of all I blow very hard and I like the fact that The Classics have a slightly thicker tip - they're easier to control, more stable, more reliable in the palm key notes and higher, and overall I get a juicier tone. Most of the negative playability comments in the posts above, I believe, are from people who have tried ones that are way too hard. As Bozman mentioned, the reed strength numbering system is nuts on The Classic. Try 1 3/4. They're roughly equal to a 2 1/2 VanDoren blue box. I can't play anything above a 2, that's on my Theo Wanne metal #8 Durga3 rock 'n roll chrome-wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line extravaganza piece. Some days I go back to Signatures, but most days The Classics work better for rock. They also seem to last longer. And as I always say, unlike the Signatures that usually only need a couple of minutes to warm up, The Classic often takes 10 -12 minutes. If you find they are slightly too hard, they kind of behave like cane - it will take several long sessions to get them broken-in - then they will last usually for weeks or even months.

NOTES:
• Like all Legeres, there is still inconsistency in strength and quality.
• Many people find that the Signatures have more projection and focus - for me that is not an issue because I never gig without being miked up with decent monitors.
• Some people like the Studio Cut Legeres - which are close to Classics but much softer. I have tried them over and over in different strengths, and find they're just not as good in the low bell key notes, and not as reliable in the higher range.
• Some people tried The Legere Classic (or equivalent) 20 years or so ago. They were pretty lousy. Today, they are pretty great. I can't ever see going back to cane.
• Did I mention to start at the softest tenor strength they make in The Classic?: 1 3/4. They're really quite hard.
• Enjoy.

Sonny

#12 ·
I sometimes work in a woodwindstore that carries and sell a lot of Legere reeds.

We have samples so custumers can come in and try different strenghts and cuts.

Earlier we had the classics but we’ve stopped selling those becasuse no one bought them after trying the Signature.

There are a LOT of proffesionell Classical clarinet players playing thoose and Saxophonists in all genres.

I’m a cane guy but I think the Signature are a great reed. When I tried the Classic I didn’t like them.

I’m not saying that you’re not gonna like the classics but in the store I sometimes work almost 100% of the custumers prefer the signatures in all genres.

#13 ·
Ok, so I now have in use a Legere Signature No.3.5 on my Tenor Four Star Model Link No.4, a Legere Signature No.3.5 on my Alto Master Link No.4 and a Legere Signature No.3 on my BG B1 clarinet mouthpiece. They are all excellent in both intonation and evenness through the registers. This is a huge positive surprise. Great synthetic reeds for sure. I use to play Vandoren Traditional reeds, not now.

#14 ·
I use the Classic (and Signature) on tenor and they work great for me. Good sound, great response. Like others here I used to play Vandoren blue box, but that's a lifetime ago. I've been playing synthetic reeds for over 25 years and have used Légères from when they first came out. Excellent product. I'm very happy to be an endorser but would have written the same if I wasn't.

#15 ·
This last Tuesday,i did get my exchange reed from Classic,to the Signature one.
Both were 2 1/2 strenght.
I really did not like at all the Classic one,though have to admit that the Legere Signature,as the soprano ones do work for me.
The tenor Signature plays also very well in the low register,which was like impossible with the Classic one i had..
Maybe i had a too hard reed with the Classic model,but that was my experience with both.
On the sound side,very surprise too,it is very close to a cane reed.
All the best
Saxobari

#16 ·
I'm just coming over from bass clarinet, where I tried both the Classic and Signature and settled on the latter, so that's what I got for my brand new tenor sax, too. The Signatures just feel less stiff and more natural to me, and sound pretty good to my old ears. Just here because I was wondering what others thought of them. Not quite like a perfectly soaked perfectly cut real reed, but so nice to be able to just pick up and play! I practice way more now.

#18 ·
Hi guys.
After a couple of weeks.
I think that the Legere model is ok,but just to practice,or play at home.
I would not play live with those,,,my opinion of course.
I did nt care at all for the Classic one,it was unplayable,though the Signature is nice,,though my heart is still by far on the cane reeds on tenor.
All the best
Mario

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.