Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like Gregs Vol. 3 Etudes and intend to go to other volumes. But, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for palm keys?

Specifically, "Ravenswood Avenue" page 23 measure 36 is kicking my rear end. Every time I go from the B to the palm D or the A natural to the palm D, I end up striking the palm Eb. I have a slightly limited range of motion in my wrists and I guess my left hand just doesn't bend back very far.

I can play the lick slowly, but every time I increase speed, the old Eb key shows up.

I considered a riser on the D, but that's not really what I wanted to do. I've played that lick so much, I end up humming it throughout the day.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
George

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I love Greg's etude books & pulled this one out today for some sight reading & just to have fun playing. This 3rd book is very accessible but still challenging, as in places like the double time lick in Ravenswood Ave. that you're struggling with.

If you can play the lick slowly, you can play it at tempo with enough practice - it just might take longer than you're expecting. Be very aware of your finger position - how much are you lifting your LH index finger off the B key when you move from B to palm key D? It should be less than a centimeter above the key.

Any particular reason you're not interested in a riser on your D key? You can get a disposable one (made by Runyon) or get a tech to put a permanent epoxy one on there for you. Why fight the horn if you feel it's getting in the way of success?

Of all the jazz etude series I've tried (Niehaus, Snidero, Mintzer, etc.) the Fishman books are definitely my favorite - modern bop language, great phrasing, & uses lots of nice contrafacts to help you learn progressions of most know tunes. Good for sight reading but challenging enough for an intense practice session. Tunes in all styles & tempos. GREAT stuff for those of you that haven't checked them out!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey 'T',

Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think no one was interested. Your suggestion about leaving the index finger just barely above the B key makes perfect sense. I was removing it all of the way off. I think I do that because my fingers are pretty short and again, I have slightly limited range of motion in my wrists. But I'm going to practice using your suggestion.

As for the riser, I never even considered the Runyon's. I just keep thinking of my son's school band director who has a really nice little Serie II alto with the most hideous pink epoxy risers on the palms. I'm definately going to give the Runyon's a try.

And I'm with you on Greg's books. Looking forward to moving to the harder stuff after (if ever) I get Vol. 3 down.

Finally, thanks so much for your time and help. A lot of folks here have read that I've been playing for more than 45 years but unfortunately never had a teacher (for various reasons). And now that I'm older I've really gotten interested in practicing more and improving. I don't think a teacher is in the cards yet, but I'm so grateful for people like you and some of the others here who are ready to help with such knowledgeable suggestions.

Regards,
George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts