Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be buying a Bluetooth speaker to practise with, play-along tracks etc., and I'm considering whether to get one with front facing speakers or one with the 360 degree sound. Just curious if anyone has any experience with such and can recommend. I'm thinking the 360 might sound more like I have a backing band but I know these are designed for rooms where people are listening to music all around.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I use the Bose Revolve and Bose Revolve+. Not when practicing at home (I have dedicated monitors/speakers for that) but when rehearsing while on the road, at outside venues, etc. both have 360 degree speakers and can get loud enough (I actually use them to play backing tracks from my iPhone/iPad when playing at more intimate gatherings - you can link several of them together to project simultaneously and assign left and right speakers!).

Going to be buying a Bluetooth speaker to practise with, play-along tracks etc., and I'm considering whether to get one with front facing speakers or one with the 360 degree sound. Just curious if anyone has any experience with such and can recommend. I'm thinking the 360 might sound more like I have a backing band but I know these are designed for rooms where people are listening to music all around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
I have the JBL 3 and its loud enough to do convalescent hospital solos gigs. or park gigs if I want. the bass is really good. 200 bucks I think K

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have the JBL 3 and its loud enough to do convalescent hospital solos gigs. or park gigs if I want. the bass is really good. 200 bucks I think K
I have a JBL as well, don't know the exact type. The only disadvantage is that the bass is boomy. Otherwise it's very good; portable and loud enough.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have a JBL as well, don't know the exact type. The only disadvantage is that the bass is boomy. Otherwise it's very good; portable and loud enough.
I agree. I've owned almost all the portable bluetooth speakers at one point or another... including a JBL 3 and a JBL Xtreme. The bass of the JBL's sounded too boomy/artificial to me. Bose and Harman Kardon (Go Play) have the most clarity, which is why I've kept them and sold the others. The Harman Kardon actually sounds better than the Bose, but it's bigger, is not 360 degrees and, while they can be linked, do not allow for linking multiple speakers as left and right speakers for stereo effect.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Sometimes, yeah. I have an Ultimate Ears Boom 2. Great design, 360, connects easily, clear, loud, and waterproof with excellent battery life and its own app.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use a Bose Soundlink. Small portable and good enough for practising. I don't like using headphones because you don't hear the horn well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I’m using the Mackie Freeplay Live for practice and small gigs.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ckie-freeplay-live-personal-pa-with-bluetooth

I’ve been able to ditch my preamp and effects and just plug my wireless into the unit. Has rudimentary effects and eq. Love it.

Pretty loud for only weighing about 10lbs. You can connect a device via Bluetooth for backing tracks or whatever you practice with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a Libratone Zipp Mini for practicing. Sound Quality okay, loud enough. The rest of the time my kitchen radio...

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
I am using JBL Charge 3, together with and iPad 3. I have the playalongs downloaded from youtube in the iPad 3 and I send ( via bluetooth ) the audio to the JBL charge 3, and I can read the notes in the Ipad3.
The sound is clear and it has enough power to play my sax with those playa longs in my home or at social meetings with family or friends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You all must practice pianissimo.... I use the family amplifier, connected to 4 ft towers, with airplay from my iPhone.... (Also, I have no neighbours ;-)....)

·
Registered
10 Posts
You all must practice pianissimo.... I use the family amplifier, connected to 4 ft towers, with airplay from my iPhone.... (Also, I have no neighbours ;-)....)
...and if the kids are doing homework, I use in ear bose sports earphones - still blasting away, but at least they do not get to enjoy the backing track...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Didn't read through to see if anyone mentioned this but if you are on a budget, the Ultimate Ears Wonderboom are plenty loud and decent for practicing. I pair with phone or iPad for sight reading on youtube or playing along to backing tracks on unrealbook, etc...

·
Registered
657 Posts
If it doesn't have to be portable, I would go for bigger. A lot of these small speakers can go kind of loud, but they miss good dynamics. If you want to experience the feeling of having a band with you, you need dynamics. The small 360 speakers have even less dynamics. The sound is to diffuse.

I sometimes practise with a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin, which is quite a powerfull device, but I rather use real 4ft speakers.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If it doesn't have to be portable, I would go for bigger. A lot of these small speakers can go kind of loud, but they miss good dynamics. If you want to experience the feeling of having a band with you, you need dynamics. The small 360 speakers have even less dynamics. The sound is to diffuse.

I sometimes practise with a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin, which is quite a powerfull device, but I rather use real 4ft speakers.
If you don't need something portable, why use bluetooth speakers at all? I figure the whole point in the OP thinking of bluetooth speakers if for the portability they offer. Otherwise, there are some really good wired speakers in the same price range that would be much better options (JBL comes to mind).

The Zeppelins are pretty cool (but hefty and heavy). I have a few Naim Muso's myself (which are also hefty and heavy but really terrific, particularly with hifi music).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts