Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Conn C-mel which I have rarely played because the intonation has been dicey and I have had trouble with gurgling in the bottom couple notes. I have tried several different Tenor pieces, own a morgan C-mel piece which has plays and sounds the best on it, and even had the horn completely gone through by a very reputable tech.

A couple weeks ago I decided to try an alto piece on the horn and wow, did that solve all the problems. Although it sounds like an alto now, the intonation is good, there is no gurgling in the bottom end and it plays perfect from top to bottom. I know that most here seem to prefer Tenor pieces, but is there anyone else who uses an Alto piece on theirs?

Marshall

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,959 Posts
I never play my C, but I found an alto STM to be a good match.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,292 Posts
I can't find any Tenor mouthpieces I like and I have 2 Conns and a Martin that all work well with my Selmer alto mouthpieces.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Love to try one on it, but alto pieces don't fit a Buescher without modifying the neck. The Aquilasax C-mel piece doesn't fit my C-Mel either, but sounds pretty full on my alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Once, decades ago, I tried this....the mouthpieces being a Brilhart & a C3? Graftonite...I have very few alto mouthpieces.
Seemed to work very well, just as well as the tenor pieces....not too keen on the sound though...so no further action taken.
Re-corked the neck & fitted the rather more familiar, & preferred, tenor Uzi or AK47.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,563 Posts
I use alto pieces on my C-mel. They seem to work better than tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
soybean - between alto and tenor (saxes), would you consider yourself better, or more at ease, playing alto or tenor ?

I only ask, because, there does seem to be a pattern developing where players who (naturally) lean towards alto (or prefer alto to tenor) often use alto mouthpieces on C's - whereas us wizened old tenor players usually seem to prefer to slap on our tenor mouthpieces... Maybe the type of mouthpiece we're happiest with on Bb or Eb's ?

Add to that the other norm, where players seeking a more subtle sound - treading carefully and diplomatically here [rolleyes] - will also tend towards alto or actual C mouthpieces. Whereas the 'booters' amongst us go for a para-tenor sound, which you can only really get with a tenor mouthpiece and reed.

·
Registered
768 Posts
well, my 2 cents then;

I`m an alto player from day 1 but dabbled with tenor from time to time, but I still consider my self mianly an alto player. I once tried my lebayle metal jazz alto mpc on my cmel when the old cork was on, but the responsiveness wasn`t optimal, and soundwise it got very thin at the highs, altough a lot of punch in the lower stack..

Now I play a Tenor lelandais superjazz metal mpc, which plays, sounds, and responses better in the lows, and sounds nice up high, but is sometimes to eager to jump to overtones..

you`ll have to weigh out your findings and do what works / sounds / plays best for you!

Oh and i just ordered an Old conn C-mel mpc wondering how that sounds.. If you want a good C-mel mouthpiece you could try e-bay, there are 2 runyons on there and some old conns and a beuscher. And some cheap new ones, you could also try aquilasax and their new mpcs. Or even JodyJazz but those are a bit more expensive..

hope I helped you a little bit.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've tried a bunch of mouthpieces for my early 20's Holton Cmel, (not a very good piece but it has a nice voice) and the only one that works is a Morgan 3c alto piece. Tried many tenor and alto mpcs, and a newly made Cmel piece, but they range from no sound at all to really bad sound, for some reason the Morgan does the job. But maybe it's the Holton, it seems to be an odd duck anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
And isn't it perverse when you find a mouthpiece that you really love the tone and response of, but which fails on intonation (e.g. sharp higher, flat lower:( )

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree with you Alan, I lean towards tenor over alto and have also leaned towards the sound of tenor mouthpieces on my c-mel.

The Morgan C-mel mouthpiece (a Morgan-modified tenor mouthpiece) works best for me after trying about a half dozen lower cost alto and tenor mouthpieces. I found too that after trying 6 different reeds on the Morgan mouthpiece that the Rigotti Gold is my favorite with the Rico Royal Reserve coming a close second.

BTW, the Vandoren blue reeds all make the mouthpiece chirp on me! Anyone have a clue why?

Also, anyone have a Morgan c-mel mouthpiece they're looking sell? I'm looking for a backup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts