Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Does anyone use, or has had experience with, the Yamaha AW1600 digital recording workstation? I have acquired one in a trade, it’s like new, and I’m trying to decide if I should sell it or keep it. What do you think of it?
I think this thing must be about 15 or 20 years old and I reckon these don’t sell for much anymore, so it’s probably not going to make me much money if I try to sell it. Anyway, if anyone can tell me how they are to use that would be great. Are they a pain to use, like programming a DX7, or are they idiot friendly and fun?
Cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have used a similar unit from Roland some years ago. Mainly a friend looking to get tracks off of the unit and onto a DAW.

It has the advantage of being a simple self contained unit where you can multitrack music without the use of computers. Select channels into a project hit record and it should work. It will take some time to get used to the menu structure on it for advanced functions. I just looked it up, it can export via USB which is nice -- so you don't have to use CD-R which could be troublesome if you want to export a whole bunch of individual tracks to bring them into or import from computer software.

It shouldn't be anywhere as bad as programming patches on a DX7 :) But it might take some time to learn the work flow because there are still quite a few menu options. I have a Yamaha RM1X which has a similar LCD to that and the LCD has held up very well, as have the encoder knobs. Same with the A3000 sampler I used to own.

It should also be usable as a mixer with effects, if you have a need for that.

Note - it has an internal spinning hard drive. 3.5" Parallel ATA. I see that you can download a CD image with the OS on it, swap out the hard drive with a larger one or similar sized replacement, and the CD will re-install the OS on it. That is pretty cool, and allows for some expandability.

It's all about the art made with it :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, tmonster. I appreciate your insights into these types of machines. Sorry for the late response. I’ve been off of the forum. Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts