Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever tried an Antigua Winds tenor. I have found them a little cheaper, and I am always seeing stuff about them. Any imput would be nice.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My first tenor was a black nicke Antigua : very good horn, much better than a SII from one of my friends (he sold his SII and bought my Antigua!!)

Very good quality and value for the money, if they are all like mine was, you can go ahead the eyes closed..

cheers

·
Registered
278 Posts
Try a Kessler Custom from Kessler Music better horn for around the same price if not cheaper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,342 Posts
Ive had a couple, one beat up old one I keep as a backup, even though the intonation on that old one is a bid dodgy in the palm keys. A relatively new one followed me home from ebay, but my wife wouldnt let it stay. It was a nicely made horn that played well. Not quite nice enough to pursuade me to give up my main tenor, but for the $4-600 I paid for it I would have zero complaints. I wouldnt buy one new for retail price though, not given the what you can pick up for the same amount used, but some of that is name / snob value no doubt. Antigua Winds definitely know how to put a sax together, and have a decent track record to stand behind unlike some other lower end brands.

Basically AW are the same quality or better than the many other Taiwanese made horns out there, with more widely respected names on them.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I've played a few, and they seemed like nice horns for the money.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ive had a couple, one beat up old one I keep as a backup, even though the intonation on that old one is a bid dodgy in the palm keys. A relatively new one followed me home from ebay, but my wife wouldnt let it stay. It was a nicely made horn that played well. Not quite nice enough to pursuade me to give up my main tenor, but for the $4-600 I paid for it I would have zero complaints. I wouldnt buy one new for retail price though, not given the what you can pick up for the same amount used, but some of that is name / snob value no doubt. Antigua Winds definitely know how to put a sax together, and have a decent track record to stand behind unlike some other lower end brands.

Basically AW are the same quality or better than the many other Taiwanese made horns out there, with more widely respected names on them.
I do agree with him. with teh money they are charging, they sure beat up a lot of the other taiwanese made horns, their problem is that they seem to have very little marketing planning or no marketing planning at all. Sort of floating with current thing.. otherwsie, for the quality& service they provide..... the value should go "way up"

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know this is an old post. But I have a antigua winds tenor for backup and when I travel to see family out of town. You know how you have to play a tune or two for family. Lol
But I out my reference neck on it. Ref neck plays fine but the reference neck makes it almost sound like the reference. More gutsy sound. Darker. It's a older one about 13-14 years old. Looks new. Silver with golden keys. I might end up trading it. Don't want to but I really want a baritone more. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts