Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw these for sale on ebay and they seem new. Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet? I don't care for the tone from the Low Rider model.

From observation it looks similar to many of the Chinese no-name mouthpieces. Which makes sense since Steve does say his blanks originate from a Chinese manufacturer then is faced by him.:line6:

Sax Gourmet Piece

Generic Chinese Piece

Generic Chinese Piece #2

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I'm sure they are exactly the same. Why don't you order one of each and let us know. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
Since they look like the Chinese no name mouthpieces that sell for $50-$100, why not buy a no-name Chinese mouthpiece and send it to a pro refacer like the Mouthpiece Guys or Mojo? Goodson has been refacing mouthpieces part time for what? A year? And he wants $350?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortunately I am very happy with the Rousseau mouthpiece I shared my thoughts on recently. I have tried some other Chinese mouthpieces in the past and the didn't work for me. Thin tone, huge shank diameter and very reed picky. Unfortunately I don't have the kind of expendable income to buy mouthpieces just for a demo purposes. Unless someone wants to chip-in on it, and at $350 for what looks like a Chinese piece i can buy at $75 it's quite a risk to take.

The idea of sending a cheap Chinese piece to Mojo is a neat idea but that would raise the cost to near what a better quality mouthpiece would cost. As to Goodson's ability to reface? I have no idea on his skill and after a year of practice i'd expect him to have improved.

I'm interested from a research point. I can't find any reference to it or its sound and am quite curious about it. not enough to drop $350 though.

*BTW: Saxtek I really like your Eppelsheim Bass tone. Sounds fantastic. I hope to one day add a bass to my collection*

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
From purely a branding/marketing view, calling a product "BIG BULLY" doesn't exactly make me think beautiful music will occur with it's use.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
From purely a branding/marketing view, calling a product "BIG BULLY" doesn't exactly make me think beautiful music will occur with it's use.
Ha !! It's just what's needed for those soft passages in the quartet :
"HONK !! we will play this my way .. HONK HONK !!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Ha !! It's just what's needed for those soft passages in the quartet :
"HONK !! we will play this my way .. HONK HONK !!"
Otherwise known as the SG "Gestapo" model:evil:...."Ve have vays to make you honk!"...:salute:..

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Since they look like the Chinese no name mouthpieces that sell for $50-$100, why not buy a no-name Chinese mouthpiece and send it to a pro refacer like the Mouthpiece Guys or Mojo? Goodson has been refacing mouthpieces part time for what? A year? And he wants $350?
What a great idea! Anyone every tried this and care to share their experience of how things turned out with the refaced no-name mouthpiece?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

Steve has had a instructional mouthpiece refacing DVD for sale since at least 2008. But don't let facts get in your way of your fun. It easy to say what you want when the person you are attacking can't defend himself.

You could have made the same suggestion to mrzel without the mailicious, false attack. It is unbecoming of a professional such as yourself, IMHO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
Chinese Ebay metal baritone mouthpiece - $53.90 + extensive reworking by the Mouthpiece guys - $150 = $203.90 Mouthpiece guys are full time mouthpiece facers for 10-20 years.
Big Bully - $350.00 Seller is a part time refacer for 3+ years.
Nothing malicious or false, just a suggestion based on logic and facts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
'Big Bully'... Is that the name of the mouthpiece? or the refacer?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not interested in the mouthpiece at all. However, if the mouthpiece is refaced then gold plated, that would bring the cost up too. Hard rubber blanks cost relatively little, but then are sold for hundreds after the work is done.

I have no horse in this race, just trying to be fair.

- anchorsax

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't expect this conversation to head in the direction it did. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with what looks like a chinese mouthpiece. To play devil's advocate: perhaps SG feels his reface rate the amount of time needed for each piece to go from junk to champ is equal to $350 +/-.

At least RSR mouthpieces are Chinese that Richard then modifies the baffle and chamber. He explained it to me via email when i asked about the plating missing in places. He admits where his blanks are from and what he does to improve them. (Well improve them to his liking)

The question is to Mojo or the Mouthpiece guys, Have any of you reworked a Chinese no-name piece? If so how did it sound?

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you want to go this route, you'd probably be better off trying a bunch of Links. Find one you like and send it to a reputable refacer.
I'd be hesitant to take a chance on Chinese mystery metal.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
If you want to go this route, you'd probably be better off trying a bunch of Links. Find one you like and send it to a reputable refacer.
I'd be hesitant to take a chance on Chinese mystery metal.
Brass is not exactly a mystery metal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
These mouthpieces look more like what Sugal made a decade or so ago. Could they be reworked Sugals? I have one with serious problems. Uneven rails, uneven table, uneven tip, uneven . . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts