Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using a Rovner leather ligature and a Jody Jazz HR* mouthpiece for a darker sound but because my SX90R is already dark enough, it doesn't really give a good 'balance'. Instead, it amplifies the darkness of the saxophone. I use a #3 Woodstone reed to balance it but I felt it could be a bit brighter still. I was looking around and I thought that perhaps the Silverstein ligature is going to help me balance out the sound (after fixing the other problems like double-lip embouchure which emphasizes a darker sound and etc).

Might any of you have any experience or opinions regarding this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,884 Posts
Their ligatures get good reviews but I do not believe the sales talk about the cryogenics. Ligatures only have a marginal effect on your sound (if any), but maybe an all metal 2 screw will give you the feeling that you're playing brighter. Your throat position, airstream and to a lesser degree choice of reeds will help you to get what you want. If all that fails you could always test a few other mouthpieces to see if they give you the sound you're after.

3,364 Posts
I am currently using a Rovner leather ligature and a Jody Jazz HR* mouthpiece for a darker sound but because my SX90R is already dark enough, it doesn't really give a good 'balance'. Instead, it amplifies the darkness of the saxophone. I use a #3 Woodstone reed to balance it but I felt it could be a bit brighter still. I was looking around and I thought that perhaps the Silverstein ligature is going to help me balance out the sound (after fixing the other problems like double-lip embouchure which emphasizes a darker sound and etc).

I have only found a better or a different response as far as ligs go. Which may give the impression of a brighter or darker sound.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response, I'm not sure about the cryogenic either but I'm no Scientist so I'd probably have nothing scientific to say about things. I'll go see if there's a chance for me to try things out. As the SX90R is a dark sounding saxophone, I'm looking at the Gold model to balance it out as the Silver one would probably be around the same edge as being dark since the Silver is balanced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,884 Posts
You do know that the colour or finish of a ligature has zero influence on the sound? The design maybe, but certainly not the finish. Don't believe the marketing nonsense.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,543 Posts
silence is golden, avoid gold at all cost if you want to play and be heard...:faceinpalm:

·
Registered
217 Posts

I have recently tried one on tenor with a Vandoren V16 HR mouthpiece which is already quite bright. I was trying several different ligatures that day, and there is definitely a noticeable difference from one to the next. I found that the silverstein took away a bit of brightness, compared to other ligatures like the vandoren masters lig I'm using at the moment. It seems to me that different ligatures allow more or less of some frequencies to resonate from the reed and mouthpiece. You can probably get the same effect of dampening some high frequencies with a rovner or other less expensive ligatures that aren't metal. I thought it might be something that classical players would be interested in. I definitely don't think it is worth the price but the box it comes in is very pretty.

·
39,543 Posts
of course, pretty... expensive

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,587 Posts
Thanks for the response, I'm not sure about the cryogenic either but I'm no Scientist so I'd probably have nothing scientific to say about things. I'll go see if there's a chance for me to try things out. As the SX90R is a dark sounding saxophone, I'm looking at the Gold model to balance it out as the Silver one would probably be around the same edge as being dark since the Silver is balanced.
Buy it. It's original and innovative and you need one.

By the way, don't forget to buy everything else that claims to be original and innovative - the marketing department will love you for it.

·
39,543 Posts
shock therapy

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
silence is golden, avoid gold at all cost if you want to play and be heard...:faceinpalm:

LOL

I have the original (not the gold colored) Silverstein lig for HR tenor pieces ...... It's complicated (for a lig) and certainly looks like it's worth all the $. Visually, it's awesome. It gives you the feeling that the research and development department really pulled out all the stops for this one. It works well but so do all my other ligs. Is it worth all the money? I have no idea. The cryo version costs half of what I just paid for my Keilwerth tenor sax. Half! :(

I showed the Silverstein ligature to my tech just in case I need to have it overhauled in the future.

Turtle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buy it. It's original and innovative and you need one.

By the way, don't forget to buy everything else that claims to be original and innovative - the marketing department will love you for it.
It's good to be able to afford everything! Ought to keep your gob shut if you've nothing positive to say Idiotic comments

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
No mate........you're talking rubbish........why not give an opinion instead of insulting? Pathetic........

Hey! Just because you have no sense of humor (or you can't afford the Silverstein), don't take it out on me. I DID give my opinion (see my post above) ... You insulted my friend, Dr. G. ... I was just defending him, while attempting to translate your post. We have a thing here that we do sometimes, called humor. Are we going to have to alert you to it?

And, Btw .... What do YOU have to say about the Silverstein ligature that could be considered an "opinion". Or, are you just here to insult? "Pathetic"? Really?

Turtle

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Wow such hostility....surely that can't be the same mellow mild mannered Profjames that contributes on "the other" saxophone forum? For what it's worth I've gone full circle with all the fancy ligs out there and am back on Selmer 402 and 404, by far the best out there.

·
Banned
577 Posts
I think the words unlacquered and cryogenic are thread disintegrators. From now on we can call these items dull and frostbitten. This might help Dr. G from having another eggnog nasal cavity wash.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts