Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about this new mouthpiece (big surprise, me curious about a new piece) It certainly looks promising. Anyway, here's the blurb from the Saxquest site:

"This is the new TM 42 mouthpiece for tenor saxophone, designed in the spirit of the vintage hard rubber Brilhart mouthpieces. These mouthpieces are designed with long facings, medium large chambers and have a slight roll on the baffle for improved projection. They are all play tested and hand finished by Dr. James Bunte of the Oasis Saxophone Quartet.
Saxquest has spent a lot of time play testing these pieces against other current production mouthpieces and vintage pieces. The results are in and we are extremely impressed with the product. The TM 42’s play with a warm resonating sound that is rich in color and overtones. Projection on this mouthpiece is also quite exceptional due to the quality work on the inner chamber and baffle.
Dr. Bunte believes it is very important to provide progressive students and professionals with a more affordable option when it comes to a quality hand finished mouthpiece. Typically professional level mouthpieces start in the $250 to $350 area. The new TM 42’s are selling for a very the reasonable cost of $180. This price is a reflection of Dr. Bunte’s philosophy and not the quality of the mouthpiece itself.
These pieces are currently only available in the 7* tip opening."

Anyone get to try this yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

·
Banned
29 Posts
I've got one sitting on my piano and have played it a good bit. All I can say is that, to me, it faithfully reproduces the response and tone of the early Slant Link with a more comfortable mouth feel since the bill of the piece is a little bit more narrow than the Link. I know Dr. Bunte personally and I know that this piece is a labor of love for him. James is deeply involved in the technology of mouthpieces and this piece is the result of a lot of experimentation and hard work. It is warm and lush but has a definite edge.

Personally, for this price or any price, it's a really fine mouthpiece.
Sigmund

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do most of the product testing for Saxquest and can say we are very happy with the TM 42. It is a somewhat warmer sound for sure but still has a solid focus and the control factor is very nice. The mouthpiece was made in the spirit of the older hard rubber Brilhart. Bunte hand finishes every piece and play tests them before they are sent out. Saxquest also play test every single one again once they arrive. Right now the store carries his piece in the 7* facing but we can special order the piece in multiple facings. If any one has any more questions about the TM 42 please also feel free to contact me at the Saxquest e-mail: [email protected]-

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like, from a marketing perspective, that it would be preferable to make a few mouthpieces in different tip sizes rather than make a bunch in just the 7* tip. I do understand that the 7* tip is probably where the maker feels is ideal.

I would like to play test an 8 but I've never fallen in love with anything smaller, and I've tried lots of great pieces in 7 and 7* before. They just never quite did it for me.

The photos and description of this piece seem great to me. We'd all love to hear continued feedback from anyone who's played this piece! Thank you to those who have shared so far.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I ordered a TM 42 to play test. These pieces are the real deal and it's a keeper. It has a huge sound and is definitely in the spirit of the old HR Brilharts. If you are into the Brilhart vibe, I think you'll like this piece. I have a couple of vintage HR Brillys and this one is right there with them. This is a very good value at $180. Congrats to Dr. Bunte on a fine mouthpiece.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,791 Posts
I ordered a TM 42 to play test. These pieces are the real deal and it's a keeper. It has a huge sound and is definitely in the spirit of the old HR Brilharts. If you are into the Brilhart vibe, I think you'll like this piece. I have a couple of vintage HR Brillys and this one is right there with them. This is a very good value at $180. Congrats to Dr. Bunte on a fine mouthpiece.
Who are some examples of some guys who played Brilharts? I'm curious. I reviewed a few on my site a few years ago. The looked like links on the inside but played differently. I'm not sure what the difference was caused by. I think I remember that they seemed to have smaller chambers than links.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Who are some examples of some guys who played Brilharts? I'm curious. I reviewed a few on my site a few years ago. The looked like links on the inside but played differently. I'm not sure what the difference was caused by. I think I remember that they seemed to have smaller chambers than links.
Zoot Sims played a HR Brilhart.

I think HR Brilharts are in the same EQ spectrum as a Slant Link, but to me, they don't sound much like a Slant.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Zoot played with a big sound on a 4*. I can attest. With Brilharts being a crap shoot on numbers and tip sizes I wonder how open that 4* actually was.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,791 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The Personaline HR I play has a large round chamber and scooped side walls.
Indeed looking very similar to a Link chamber. In particular a NY Tone Master.
However like Nefertiti said it sounds different. Although as dark as a Link
but more thick core and projection and less spread. Hence it tends to play louder too
with some edge. I think the Link tone might be a little richer.
I don't have a 'regular' Brilhart HR though so I can't compare these.
But I would love to try the TM 42.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I had a "Designed by Arnold Brillhart" tenor piece that was a .095" tip with a JVW facing. It was originally stamped a 2. I picked it out of drawer of Brilharts at Bob Ackerman's house. I tried every single mouthpiece in the drawer with most of them being of the white plastic variety. It was good and it was my main piece for a time but I had the urge to have JVW open it to 7*. It played well when it came back but I was sorry I opened it up as the sound was nicer, more focused, less spread as a 6*.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a 42, picked up from Bunte in May or June. I am really taken with it and I'm usually a metal-mouthpiece guy. I've played a Powellized bronze Berg as my main piece for several years with a 10-piece horn rock band, and have tried a number of other things (both metal and rubber) with this group to no avail. I really liked the 42 on my initial playing of it, and while I didn't think it'd have the necessary projection I tried it with the band anyway. To my delight, it worked great, and the other two sax players in the group liked the sound too.

In short, it's a keeper. It seems very versatile; it's got a medium-dark tone but brightens a bit when pushed, and has plenty of projection. I can use it mic'd with the horn-rock group but would be equally comfortable using it with a combo or big band in an acoustic setting. Really a great piece. It now travels with me, along with that Berg.

I gotta say this: for the price, I don't think you can beat it. I've played $500 mouthpieces that don't sound as good or play as comfortably.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Joshua Redman used to play one. In between playing an STM and a Slant. I believe he played one on Elastic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do most of the product testing for Saxquest and can say we are very happy with the TM 42. It is a somewhat warmer sound for sure but still has a solid focus and the control factor is very nice. The mouthpiece was made in the spirit of the older hard rubber Brilhart. Bunte hand finishes every piece and play tests them before they are sent out. Saxquest also play test every single one again once they arrive. Right now the store carries his piece in the 7* facing but we can special order the piece in multiple facings. If any one has any more questions about the TM 42 please also feel free to contact me at the Saxquest e-mail: [email protected]-
That sounds like a fun gig. Do you mind sharing what your personal setups are? I'd find that interesting since you get to play tons of stuff.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
BTW are these new TM "hard rubber" pieces made of real hard rubber or are they polymer resin or something (i.e. plastic)?
These pieces are most definitely hard rubber. They are very nice.

BTW, I think Gene Ammons and Prez played plastic Brilharts whereas Zoot Sims played HR.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts