Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any opinions about this piece. The old discontinued HR model was quite respected, I think.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Peter has been very interested of late in the health ramifications of his mpcs, that's why he developed his stainless steel models. Likewise, he developed this delrin line to replace the hard rubber mpcs. He told me about them when they were in development but personally, I haven't tried any. I am still loyal to my HR alto piece regardless of any gas that might be leaking from them. You get my age on my diet and gas from a mpc is a bit redundant. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gary :). I'm still young and foolish. Just a couple of years past 70 :clown:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
I am still loyal to my HR alto piece regardless of any gas that might be leaking from them. You get my age on my diet and gas from a mpc is a bit redundant. :mrgreen:
Or, as they say, "in the noise".

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
There are health hazards to playing a hard rubber mouthpiece ???

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
There are health hazards to playing a hard rubber mouthpiece ???
From http://peterponzol.com/mouthpiece_info/mouthpiece_information.htm (the paragraph separations are my editing)
THE CUSTOM MOUTHPIECES ARE BACK IN DELRIN !

For 20 years I have offered a line of mouthpieces called the Custom. In the past they were made of Ebonite (hard rubber). Ebonite (hard rubber) was developed to make bowling balls and has as much as 30% sulfur, which out gasses. This is why the color fades and they begin to have a sulfur odor.

I discontinued the Custom mouthpieces three years ago because of the material. I tested many materials and finally found Delrin, a high tech synthetic material that is FDA approved for food use, so you can imagine how safe it is to play. Delrin has many other qualities which makes it a much better material for mouthpieces than hard rubber.

Delrin actually costs the same as stainless steel. The older Custom mouthpieces were patterned after my brass M2 mouthpieces. The new Custom mouthpieces in Delrin use the same computer program as my stainless steel models. The perfect mouthpiece for players who don't like to play metal but want a modern mouthpiece with a similar response and sound.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now when we all have learned something about the material, how about some real life opinions on the sound of this device, pls ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mfry :). I was just interested in hearing if there's any (real) differences between the Stainless Steel M2 and this newer delrin model. Not that I'd expect any, but just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts