Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my selmer neck but it was too small. Wondering if anyone has experimented with this and what the result was and which neck(s) fit. Also does anyone have an accurate measure of tenon diameter for a stock Barone Classic neck? Thanks----CW

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Based on Nefertiti's (Steve Neff's) review and sound clips of the Warburton Neck System, I bought one for my PB MAC 8 tenor (that Phil currently sells as the "Vintage"). It made a HUGE difference in the tone. With the Flare-50 initiator screwed in (where you put the mouthpiece), it took out a touch of murkiness and added some complexity and sweetness. Now, I really really like my setup- with the Flare-50 initiator for straight-ahead, and the RT (reverse-taper) for big band.

In fact, I think the W neck makes my tenor sound more like the one Classic model I tried. I suspect it would make a difference- and makes me wonder how much of the difference in tone color between Phil's two models is really the stock neck.... I also tried the neck with screw-in tenons for my Ref 36 and my Cannonball stone, and it changed them up too. I never had a full appreciation for what a neck can do (specifically the critical dimensions/cut at the entrance to the neck) until now.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
duplicate deleted- sluggish site today

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,567 Posts
I play a Cannonball Fatneck on my Barone Vintage...Bigger, darker, and more wide open in my opinion. I think the bore is larger than the Classic. It is slightly larger than my Cannonball BBSS. Just enough to need the tenon a hair larger to fit as tightly as I like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts