Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had good luck on my soprano and figured I’d try a Chinese sopranino off eBay from China.
Also looks like some are actually from India.

Please share any experience

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Antiques are some good chinese sax's and if your just playing it as an expierimentle thing than it might be a good option but not a serious horn by any means.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
I have tried two different types of Chinese made Sopraninos.

There are two types, one is a copy of the Yanagisawa (to Eb) and one is a Selmer copy to high F#.

At the Frankfurt Musikmesse (trade fair) I tried a couple of Yanagisawa copies and they were nicely made. I wanted to buy one but they were all already sold. Upon going back to the NL I bought a Chinese made Selmer copy from a local shop.

They sent it to me and a couple of keys were bent. You could tell it was very flimsily made. So I sent it back.

In the end I bought a Taiwanese sopranino, Selmer copy, which is now is the possession of Wade Cornell ( a member whom plays especially sopranino)

Recently purchased a wonderful sopranino from Milandro. Here's what it sounds like:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11716841&q=hi

This is a modal guitar loop with improvisations over it. Fairly simple stuff just to get into what's possible with it sound/tone wise.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,937 Posts
I admit I have only play tested two sopraninos made in China, one was complete garbage the other one was fine (better than my Conn). To be safe I would assume getting one off eBay you are most likely to get a crap one.

·
38,875 Posts
If you are interested I can still get you in touch with a Taiwanese company , but Taiwanese sopraninos are not in the same price league as Chinese are.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had good luck with the Amazon Ammoon LADE brand Alto and there are a few positive posts on youtube about their soprano. The price, delivery and return policy are all excellent. I did get the $40 4 year extended policy as people keep posting neg Chinese generalizations. I would not suggest patronizing any company that is not putting their own name on the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
Posting a reply that doesn’t answer the question is still a waste of time. ;)
No, a waste of time would be for me to recount my experiences owning a VI sopranino for about thirty years and telling you what absolute crap is out there that I've tried over the years, including even brands like Berkeley that folks sometimes rave about. Because you're going to convince yourself to buy one of the cheap ones anyway.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, a waste of time would be for me to recount my experiences owning a VI sopranino for about thirty years and telling you what absolute crap is out there that I've tried over the years, including even brands like Berkeley that folks sometimes rave about. Because you're going to convince yourself to buy one of the cheap ones anyway.
Bought a Chinese soprano and suits me fine. Bought because of positive reviews and feedback from SOTW members who actually bought and used them. I have no interest in buying crap that will be crap, nor do I have interest in spending $1000s oh a once in a blue moon horn for home recreational use. I play for fun, ALWAYS. My requirements are different than a lifelong pro.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
466 Posts
Not exactly on topic, but just to chime in;
I own 4 Selmer sopraninos (all different eras) and two Berkeley sopraninos (among many others). I find the Berkeleys to be unexpectedly excellent in build quality, tone and intonation, and are used in my various saxophone ensembles. I believe they are not Chinese instruments, but made in another part of Asia. (Correct me if I am wrong.) So, to be clear, my Selmer, Yanagisawa and Rampone sopraninos are the preferred instruments for me, but the Berkeleys are entirely professionally functional. Soon I will be reporting on my custom-tuned Buescher sopraninos to further mix up the mix.
Paul Cohen

·
38,875 Posts
The only other part of Asia (aside Japan), to my knowledge, where quality sopraninos are made is Taiwan.

There are two models available, one is a Yanagisawa inspired instrument and the other one is a Selmer inspired instrument.

This sopranino that I have had made with the brandname Sagacious (it is the only sopranino with that brandname ever made ) was commissioned with copper body and brass mechanics and full engraving.

Member Wade Cornell, who bought it from me, still considers it one of the best instruments in his collection. (click on the pics to expand). The sopranino which impressed me the most was (and still is ) the curved Rampone & Cazzani

....Thanks to all for your kind comments, and especially to Milandro for letting this little nino come to me.

View attachment 231828

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
I own 4 Selmer sopraninos (all different eras) and two Berkeley sopraninos (among many others). I find the Berkeleys to be unexpectedly excellent in build quality, tone and intonation, and are used in my various saxophone ensembles. I believe they are not Chinese instruments, but made in another part of Asia. (Correct me if I am wrong.)
It was a few years back when the Berkeley horns first came out when I tried one. Pretty sure it was China back then. Perhaps they've improved and/or moved production, though they're certainly not cheap in price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts