Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I've been holding my old Selmer for 30 years. A couple of my sax friends are now keeping their Selmers at home and playing Cannonballs or P.Mauriat saxes.

Anyone changing out there just for a change?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I change because music sounds different on different horns. Turns out that I think I do a better job developing my embouchure by switching horns once in a while.......but I don’t just change for fun. I change mostly for curiosity.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, a change is as good as a rest! I gave my SML Rev C tenor a couple of hours workout with a mainstream jazz band last week after leaving it stashed in the garage on top of the freezer for six months (been playing the '66 Mk6 exclusively with the rock covers group and jazz during that time). The SML was my first decent vintage horn and still plays very well - to me, it's brasher than the Mk6 but as always, their different 'pieces will have made some difference. Also got the '32 King Volltrue alto out for the same gig - oh my, what a change from the '67 Mk6 - and not in a good way... (sorry Mr White)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I didn't expect to do such a thing, and yet... I just did.
That's the actual nature of the unexpected : everything seems perfect, you go try some new things to see what is what, and then... WOW ?!

Long story short, my faithful Selmer (alto sax) will now have to share my time with a TJ Raw (but for how long, nobody knows...).
Tough day for the good old ones... (but an extremely fun day for me !)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I guess that I don't like change...same Alto Sax since 1978 (1963 Mark VI)...same Tenor Sax since 1980 (1941 Balanced Action)...same Clarinet since 1981 (1967 Series 9).

I have a 1931 SSS Alto that I have used as a back-up to my Mark VI on occasion and a Selmer USA Tenor Sax that I have used when the BA was in the shop but...when the main players are working...I play em !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts