Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 10M on ebay that seems to defy the serial number charts. The serial 350XXX would indicate the year 1952 yet finish option 25(laquer body/nickle plated keys) was not available until 1955. I contacted the seller and it does not have Naked Lady engraving which was discontinued around '59/'60 -the neck was also changed at that time to double socket with underslung octave key yet the one for sale has the old stye brace 10M neck. I suggested that perhaps it was a buffed or worn 8 and not a 3 but he insist it is the serial number as advertised. So, how can this be? Mix & match parts perhaps? Check it out:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hard to say, but I would agree that the "3" could be an "8". The horn does have the wire key guards, as opposed to sheet metal, so 850xxx would seem right. Also has pearl rollers on the right-hand pinky keys.

At first I though it was a 1960 (or so) 10M with no engraving. But I have an 867xxx with the same finish that has a double-socket neck (the octave pad is not underslung however). So this horn must be before the double-socket necks.

Perhaps they actually did start making some horns with that finish in the 350xxx (around 1953 according to saxpics) range.

Looks like it's in good condition tho.

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
A silver plated horn that has had the plate removed from the body? The keys look silver plated, not nickel plated. Either way shouldn't it have a double socket neck? 16M?

·
Registered
619 Posts
maybe an overbuffed 30m?

but the seller does list it as a "Conn-Elkhart III" - perhaps a stencil or second line horn?

dv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts