Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone seen a Conn 6M VIII with the VIII etched on the neck and body, rather than stamped like the serial number? Just wondering if it's legit, or whether someone etched it in by hand to get more value out of the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
I've only seen them stamped.Check the serial number to get its manufacture date.Sounds dodgy but conn were a law to themselves and could have done it but i doubt it
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,149 Posts
It could happen. I believe the 6MVIII lost its stamping in the late 1940s - same horn, just no VIII. A player might have owned one of these plus a Transitional, and marked the VIII just to keep the (non-interchangeable) necks from getting mixed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your feedback guys. The sax has serial 277XXX, which places it in late 1936. Is it possible that Conn did not begin stamping them that early? I suppose the only way to find out would be to find a regular 6M and see if my neck fits. If anyone has seen this though, I would appreciate a post. Thanks again.

·
7,149 Posts
That's just before they started stamping them. I've seen #277s without the stamp and #278s with.

To further complicate things, 6Ms and 26Ms in the 1935-37 range sometimes have the stampings METRO (or M) and NAT'L (or N). Obviously these denote neck types, but no more is known.

Perhaps the VIII neck was one of these, perhaps not. No way to tell at this point except by a painstaking and ultimately pointless set of precision measurements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya paulwl, makes sense. Mine also has the NAT'L on the neck. I think we'd need one of the Conn designers or engineers from the good old days to shed some light on this :eek: . Regardless of what type of neck, I'm sure I'm going to love it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
What's the story behind "VIII" anyway? I assume there was no "I" through "VII". Anybody know the story?

·
7,149 Posts
At this late date, no, I can't imagine anyone does. And most of the Conn archives were burned years ago. :-x

It seems logical that there were seven models of Conn alto from the 1888 prototype up to 1937. A lot depends on what makes a "model." Ie, do you count the M and N necks as one model or two? Do you start over when the Chu changes palm key shapes or not? Etc. etc. etc.

My guess is they considered a bore change (=new master mandrel) a model change. Trouble is, we can't really track all those, now that the records are gone.

Might have gone something like this:

I. Lefèbre prototype & subsequent handbuilt models
II. Early 1900s "Wonder Saxophone"
III. "New Invention"
IV. "New Wonder" (incl. early Chus)
V. "New Wonder" 2nd series (late Chus)
VI. "6M National"
VII. "6M Metro"

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe that the 6m's VIII 's that look etched are for real. I recently bought a 277XXX ( 1936 ) and my horn tech and I looked at it and thought it looked odd. I searched here and on this thread :

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?p=729297

I found one that looked exactly like mine. Go down to the 12th post and open the pics. The one that looks like mine is serial num. 277410 ( 1936 ). It is exactly like mine....also mine is numerically within just a few digits of this one !!!! I was pretty glad to verify that for some reason these two 6m's have the same style VIII ( kinda etched look ) ! Like the other persons 6M mine also says Nat'l on it ! So all is as it should be haahahaha
ken

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
More neck info here, though specific to 26Ms. I'd be interested in Les's input, particularly on the 'NY' versus 'Metro' necks as I've identified them in that thread. Good news is that I'll have my freshly overhauled 26M (the one in the thread) back from Randy later this week, and I can't wait!

I believe that the 6m's VIII 's that look etched are for real. I recently bought a 277XXX ( 1936 ) and my horn tech and I looked at it and thought it looked odd. I searched here and on this thread :

I found one that looked exactly like mine. Go down to the 12th post and open the pics. The one that looks like mine is serial num. 277410 ( 1936 ). It is exactly like mine....also mine is numerically within just a few digits of this one !!!! I was pretty glad to verify that for some reason these two 6m's have the same style VIII ( kinda etched look ) ! Like the other persons 6M mine also says Nat'l on it ! So all is as it should be haahahaha
ken

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
I had one that had VIII etched as well, and it played the doors off a building.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,575 Posts
More neck info here, though specific to 26Ms. I'd be interested in Les's input, particularly on the 'NY' versus 'Metro' necks as I've identified them in that thread. Good news is that I'll have my freshly overhauled 26M (the one in the thread) back from Randy later this week, and I can't wait!

ken
The 6m's with the tuner neck are the better instruments. I don't understand the acoustical reasons this is so, but I've made some in depth playing comparisons and the tuner neck horns win hands down. That doesn't mean the horns without the tuner neck aren't good -- they are -- the tuner neck just makes the horn sound a little better, depending of course, on what you're looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,486 Posts
What's the story behind "VIII" anyway? I assume there was no "I" through "VII". Anybody know the story?
VIII was the bench number at which conns best and longest employed neck maker worked, so they got him to stamp all his necks with an VIII apparently,

·
Registered
606 Posts
Is it really etching, or is this engraving? I realize that the thread started almost 5 years ago, but recent posts also refer to etching, which is a chemical method of removing metal, as opposed to engraving, a mechanical method. Anyone?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
Its more like crude engraving, its not stamped as usual, but look like someome took a nail and scratched VIII in the back of the horn.

·
7,149 Posts
VIII was the bench number at which conns best and longest employed neck maker worked, so they got him to stamp all his necks with an VIII apparently,
Good story - have you got a source for it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts