Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Chinese E-bay Sopranino for 8 months or so. Thinking about upgrading and the RS Berkeley Sopranino is getting a LOT of positive press. Anyone out there playing one?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,971 Posts

·
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered one - so I'll let everyone know. I play sopranino a lot during my middle school saxophone lessons. It's an easy way to demonstrate fingerings in front of large groups of kids. It's also fun to play.

·
2,323 Posts
Any updates on the RS Berkley Nino?

·
2,323 Posts
Andy -- Thanks for the tip about Sherman Irby. Definitely a hot player.

I was actually wondering if AGreene had received his horn and what he thought of it. It's easier to detailed review out of a sotw member... Unless Sherman would like to share his thoughts!

·
2,323 Posts
I've been contemplating joining the nino club for some time now. This morning I got a chance to get into town and try the RS Berkley Sopranino. I used a 60s vintage selmer soloist with magic applied by Joe at soprano planet. The build quality is nice with very solid with upperstack adjustment screws, good quality pads, felts and corks. The ergos are nice if small. The pearls seem very tiny (like an old Conn soprano I had years ago) which I think add to the impression of really small horn. They look proportionate to the scale horn but I would like more under the fingers. But it plays quite nicely. After a bit of relatively low long tones for adjustment, I started to venture upwards and after a short while was able to get the palm keys up to F to speak quite nicely. Intonation was nice and easy to get bang on. The tone is nice rather like a baroque trumpet. Round and sweet. I was half tempted to break into Bach's second Brandenburg... I'm not entirely sure I resonate to tones in this range, but if I decide to go this way the Berkley is definitely a contender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts