Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are players of these pieces thoughts on them. I'm playing a Yamaha unlacquered 82z tenor, and I'm trialing a used Ponzol right now. I was expecting more edge. It's plenty powerful and has a warmly bright tone to my ears. I'm getting a Link like warmth that would suit straight ahead styles in my opinion, and when I push it I'm getting some brightness and power for the more modern stuff, but I'm not getting any of the edge I was expecting. Not that I need edge, but I would like to add some to the tone I'm getting with this piece. Being a high baffle/small chamber combo, I thought it would be brighter, but it can do a variety of things with changes in embrochure and air. I really like it so far.

I experimented with some different reeds and the best combination for me is a Rico plasticover 3 1/2. My tenor has the G1 custom unlacquered neck and it also has smooth brass resonators. I've been using a Lakey hard rubber, but I'm digging the feel of the Ponzol. It plays in tune better than the Lakey, but it's missing that edge I'm used to. I'll probably try some more different reeds and ligs that I already have and see if I can get a dynamite combination that works for me. So far I like the plasticovers. Any recommendations would be nice.

Any opinions of users of this mouthpiece are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
For more edge, try a 3 Plasticover and take a little more mouthpiece in to keep the high notes from closing off on you. You may even be able to work down to a 2.5 for more edge. Otherwise you might need a more open tip to use the softer reeds. But if you are closing off the tip some with your embouchure, going more open may not help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply MojoBari. I didn't think I was having a problem closing the mouthpiece off. I'm getting a full tone from low Bb to high F and up an octave in altissimo to G. It's bright but still fat and warm when I push it in the upper register and really fat and warm in the lower register, but it doesn't have the "sizzle" or edge. It subtones nice, and has that nice "pop" on a staccato note. I will try the softer reeds and see if that helps, and thanks for the suggestion. I can hear the edge in like say Michael Brecker's tone, and a guy Rocco Barbato. I think they both have the high baffle pieces. I hope I'm describing this right. Maybe the Ponzol doesn't have that character to it. Brecker's got the Guardala, and I think Rocco is using a Dukoff. Should I be getting a Guardala type sound with the Ponzol?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tenor Ponzol

I play on the 120 s. I had the same problems with the 110 and when I went to the 120 I got the edge I was looking for. I love these mthpcs. Warning though, in the low register I have to use almost all subtone to get the "warmth" you're talking about

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
You can try a Bari brand plastic reed too. But they sound similar to Plasticovers. Both are edgy.

The Ponzol is a different design than the Dukoff D, and MB1. But it should work for you. Some Ponzols benefit from facing work at the tip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mojo. I tried some 2 1/2 and 3 plasticovers and I got some edge. I also tried a medium bari synthetic, but I preferred the plasticovers. Not a ton of edge, but it's there. I read in another thread where someone said the S model M2 has less edge than the regular M2. I might try to get a hold of one to compare. For right now I'm using a number 3 plasticover and I'm getting a very fat tone in all registers. It's got brightness with a little bit of edge and a lot of projection when I push it. I'm able to play in tune, and the altissimo sounds nice, and it has full tone at all volumes. I think I'm going to keep it for awhile and see if I can bond with it some more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts