Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna be appearing with Rick K. and the Allnighters for one night, Wed. September 28th, at The Highball in Austin Texas. First time for us all and was wondering what to expect. Any SOTWebbers in Austin? Any good sax shops to try some mouthpieces and horns ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,069 Posts
The Highball is a really cool place (and about 5 blocks from where I live, but I don't go there enough). There's a good saxophonist community in Austin and quite a few of us post here. There aren't really any good places to try out horns or mouthpieces, but my friend Greg (Shortwhite here on the forum) represents Macsax and usually has quite a few of those lying around if you want to try one.

In addition to a good stage, the Highball has good food, good bartenders with a solid selection of beers on tap, and... bowling! Really classy bowling, believe it or not. No video screens, all pencil and paper, high-end leather couches, full service, it's pretty awesome. It was created by Tim League, the same dude responsible for the Alamo Drafthouse, the most awesome movie theater in the world, which is in the same strip.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanx, Mr. Donahoe. Chuck has been in touch and will be trying some of our horns and mouthpieces while he is in town. Sorry I missed your Elephant gig. Heard it killed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,069 Posts
Aw yeah. Always glad to get things movin. I need to go try some of those horns sometime, for grins.

The Elephant Room gig went very well, and I had a blast. There was a good crowd there for a Sunday, so I think we'll probably be back... haven't heard for sure, though. I've missed your venerable wisdom during your absence.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both. I am looking forward to the trip. I am flying to CT sunday for a gig with these guys at the Wolf Den on Monday, then flying to Austin Tuesday night for the Highball Gig on Wednesday. I going to try the Empyreal Alto and I will have my SG Super 400 with me if anyone wants to give it a blow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts