Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned several RPC HR tenor mouthpieces over the years so I am familiar with how an RPC HR piece performs. I notice Ron now makes pieces out of Natural Ultem 1000 material and would like to know if anyone here at SOTW owns an RPC made of this material and their thoughts about it. I have owned (and still have an alto) Runyon mouthpiece that is made of a hard plastic (not hard rubber) and I do love how those play and sound.

Speak up if ya' got one of the golden RPC pieces!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Hmm, looks like that is now a production material.

https://saxmpc.com/

New RPC Gold and Hard Rubber series baffle models

Still available Traditional Rollover baffle models ...

All new "RPC Gold series" baffle models made from Natural Ultem 1000, and high quality hard rubber.

Classic baffle, bullet chamber design: High and Medium baffle models available.

Why plastic ? yes it looks cool, compliments the look of aged lacquer on a vintage horn, BUT the real reason is, over the last 5 years of developing these models , my customers have said they love the sound and playability!

Machined and hand finished start to finish from natural ultem, and hard rubber round stock in my shop.

Original medium chamber, rollover baffle models are also still available.

·
32,938 Posts
Anyone know if Ron still makes alto mouthpieces on request?
Call Ron!

I always found him to be very approachable.

From his webpage:

PHONE NUMBER: 360-887-3807

Call anytime 10AM to 7PM (west coast time) so I can better understand how to help you on your journey to a great sound!

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
I talked to Ron for an hour or two after I did that last review of his RPC 110B tenor mouthpiece. He was very excited about having me try the Ultem material. I was a bit skeptical about it but he was so passionate and excited about it he won me over. He said he would make me one to review to show me how good it was. I can't remember all the positives but I believe he said it was darker than the HR which surprised me. Can't wait to try it out.......

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,768 Posts
My RPC bari mouthpiece is ultem. I wasn't expecting it when I ordered it, but it pays great, so I don't really care. It plays much better for me than the pretty extreme Babbitt blank RPC I was playing before, but it's a fundamentally different design internally, so it's hard to attribute that to the material.

I do appreciate that, because the material is so heat resistant, I can wash it with hot water without fear of discoloration or warping.

That and the potential for a more durable mouthpiece have me interested in getting another 115B tenor mouthpiece from Ron someday.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I talked to Ron for an hour or two after I did that last review of his RPC 110B tenor mouthpiece. He was very excited about having me try the Ultem material. I was a bit skeptical about it but he was so passionate and excited about it he won me over. He said he would make me one to review to show me how good it was. I can't remember all the positives but I believe he said it was darker than the HR which surprised me. Can't wait to try it out.......
I've tried a bunch, and I find them to be darker than their HR equivalents. I was pretty surprised.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I wonder why Ron calls it Natural. It's a plastic resin. Doesn't matter to me because after researching a little I'm sure it's not toxic in any way. But it's definitely a man-made plastic.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Natural = not colored. The black mouthpieces are also Ultem, but are colored black.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Natural = not colored. The black mouthpieces are also Ultem, but are colored black.
I believe this is probably correct.

We have done a lot of research into different resins, both for sound quality and of course food gradability. Any differences in sound compared to there metals such as hard rubber or various metal alloys will only be apparent depending on the type of baffle. The higher the baffle, the less the material will affect the sound properties.

Anyway Ron makes extremely good mouthpieces and I would trust him totally to be using the best materials. His work and customer service is superb and although I've only ever had RPC hard rubber, I would trust Ron to be busting the myth that the best (non metal) mouthpieces have to be 100% HR.

·
32,938 Posts
His website says otherwise (emphasis added):

All new "RPC Gold series" baffle models made from Natural Ultem 1000, and high quality hard rubber.

Why plastic ? yes it looks cool, compliments the look of aged lacquer
on a vintage horn, BUT the real reason is, over the last 5 years of developing
these models , my customers have said they love the sound and playability!

Machined and hand finished start to finish from natural ultem, and hard rubber round stock in my shop.

P.S. I've sent Ron a note to ask about this.

79 Posts
I have one made from Ultem for my Alto and love it. It has a very broad, rich and darker sound. Lots of punch. Plus, the goldish (not sure if it's amber or natural) color looks wicked on my Alto!

Ultem is a plastic and it comes in Black, Brown, Amber, Natural colors. More info found here - https://www.curbellplastics.com/Research-Solutions/Materials/Ultem I interpret his site to mean he has both hard rubber and ultem versions.

I'd say Ron's site just needs a wordsmith to clarify things.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Hmm, looks like that is now a production material.

https://saxmpc.com/

New RPC Gold and Hard Rubber series baffle models

Still available Traditional Rollover baffle models ...

Why plastic ? yes it looks cool, compliments the look of aged lacquer on a vintage horn, BUT the real reason is, over the last 5 years of developing these models , my customers have said they love the sound and playability!

Original medium chamber, rollover baffle models are also still available.

I log in to SOTW after a while and two posts in.... well this is going to cost me money!

·
Registered
123 Posts
just received a RPC ultem bari piece - Ron tells me he set it up using a RJS 3S filed. I've ordered some of those. Rico Royal and Java 3.5 are bit stiff and bright for me.

I wondered if you had settled on a reed?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,768 Posts
RJS 3S filed is what I settled on for my 110B bari mouthpiece. It's also what I played on my 120B bari piece as well. I think he tunes resistance for all of his bari pieces for those reeds.

They are bright as hell though. I like that, but I wouldn't expect them to be less bright than the Rico royals.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts