Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played tenor reeds on alto and bari reeds on tenor and found both to work really well. I'm getting back to playing sop after a year off it and tried a couple of alto reeds yesterday for a bit and found that they give me a darker sound which I liked. Anybody else out there do this and if so what have been your experiences with it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've never tried alto reeds on soprano, however I have tried tenor reeds on alto, and bass reeds on baritone. I think this gives broader tone for a softer feel, at the expense of intonation and control. Inspired by the Legere European Signature, I have also tried soprano reeds on clarinet, which was more successful.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Funny you should mention this. Somewhere in my mouthpiece storage closet :D is a RIA Metal soprano piece that works better with alto reeds. I was looking for it the other day as I’ve laid off soprano for the past few years.

It’s a little strange - regardless of reed it needs to be pushed waaay down the cork.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I use clarinet reeds on soprano and much prefer the sound and response.

I've not tried alto reeds on soprano yet.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny you should mention this. Somewhere in my mouthpiece storage closet :D is a RIA Metal soprano piece that works better with alto reeds. I was looking for it the other day as I've laid off soprano for the past few years.

It's a little strange - regardless of reed it needs to be pushed waaay down the cork.
That is funny, but I notice my old Conn Chu straight sop needs the mpc way down too to be able to be in tune across most of the range. Intonation on an old Sop is a bugger anyway, so whatever works ya gotta go with it.

I use clarinet reeds on soprano and much prefer the sound and response.

I've not tried alto reeds on soprano yet.
I remember reading about that before. If I can get my hands on one I think I'll give it a try too although I have to say that I like the sound of the alto reeds.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
On alto sax I've used tenor sax or bass clarinet reeds forever; deep tenorish tone, intonation not significantly worse. Tried alto reeds on soprano a couple of times, didn't pursue it. Clarinet reeds on soprano sax -- there's an idea! Gonna try it today. Thank you!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Are you cutting the sides to fit? A alto reed on my tiny Runyon wouldn't work at all.
Actually I had the opposite problem : reading somewhere on SOTW about using clarinet reeds for soprano, I wanted to try that, and bought a few clarinet reeds, which proved to be too narrow for the window of any of my sop MPs... only to find you need to get Eb alto clarinet reeds...

Someone who knows what he/she is doing should clearly put some guidelines about why (advantages and drawbacks) as well as how to do that... :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
regardless of reed it needs to be pushed waaay down the cork.
I've found this to be true of Soprano in general. The only soprano setup I have is an S90 180, Vandoren 3s (V21s now), which as far as I know is a pretty standard soprano setup. I always have to push all the way in to get it in tune and to avoid the low notes gurgling. This has happened on every sop I've tried, from my own Taishan, to Yanagisawas, Selmers, and Yamahas.

But yes, as I said above the main drawback I've had with using the wrong reed size is that it screws with tuning and intonation.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
In a pinch, I've used a BB clarinet reed on soprano sax. It worked though my tone quality was a bit buzzy by comparison.

I'm sure it could be made to sound better, but it worked for it's intended purpose of getting through the rehearsal.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
I've never tried alto reeds on soprano, however I have tried tenor reeds on alto, and bass reeds on baritone. I think this gives broader tone for a softer feel, at the expense of intonation and control. Inspired by the Legere European Signature, I have also tried soprano reeds on clarinet, which was more successful.
That's interesting - I was thinking about that the other day and I don't remember ever hearing of bass sax reeds although obviously they should exist. If I can find any cheap I'll probably try it. The whole concept of using the next bigger reed on any sax has been around forever and many known players have used it to get their sound.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That is funny, but I notice my old Conn Chu straight sop needs the mpc way down too to be able to be in tune across most of the range. Intonation on an old Sop is a bugger anyway, so whatever works ya gotta go with it.

I remember reading about that before. If I can get my hands on one I think I'll give it a try too although I have to say that I like the sound of the alto reeds.
Yep - once I find that RiA I'll give it another whirl. I seem to recall it blowing really deep and loud.

None of my other soprano mouthpieces looked alto reed friendly. It almost looks as if it were made for alto reeds. None of my other soprano pieces need to be shoved all the way down like the RIA

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I experimented tonight with a Legere European Cut Bb Clarinet reed and it played nicely.

Not sure if this is strictly on topic, but thought I'd throw my experience in.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts