Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone playing a Jody Jazz Jet baritone mpc in a Funk/Soul/Reggae band? Opinions please!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd be curious about this too. I currently play a Jody Jazz Runyon Quantum and also have a Jody Jazz Classic both have a removable baffle.

The Quantum is a bit punchier which I like as I play primarily funk in a three-piece horn section. I'd love to find a piece that would allow me to occasionally tone down some of the bark without having to reshape my oral cavity. I wonder if the Jet is that kind of piece...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had one of these on trial for a few days, but sent it back. The rails are so thin i felt the mouthpiece lacked any finesse and was just a bit wild, and difficult to control. I usually play an RPC 0.110” or 0.120” and got the Jet out of curiosity, but couldn’t wait to get back on to the RPC.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,577 Posts
I'd be curious about this too. I currently play a Jody Jazz Runyon Quantum and also have a Jody Jazz Classic both have a removable baffle.

The Quantum is a bit punchier which I like as I play primarily funk in a three-piece horn section. I'd love to find a piece that would allow me to occasionally tone down some of the bark without having to reshape my oral cavity. I wonder if the Jet is that kind of piece...
The Vandoren V16 is that kind of piece.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I tried one in a .120 that another SOTW member sent me. A lot depends upon the tip opening, reeds you use, your horn, and how you blow. Jody posted this video shortly after releasing this piece and he makes it sound really flexible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BnhPn3Lzo

Personally I like the DV and DVNY better because it's easier for me to play loud and still get a really full sound without it getting too edgy but they're a lot more expensive. If all you want to do with it is play in a funk and R&B setting it's not a bad choice for the money. You might want to try a Rico Metalite first as they are a lot cheaper and for me produce a similar sound. I just like the lower beak angle of the JJ pieces better.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes, I play a Jet 8 and absolutely love it in funk settings. I've played dozens of different bari mouthpieces and this one is a great fit for me.

I made a video comparing it with my 2nd and 3rd favorite mouthpieces. Still use the Berg for old school jazz settings, sold the Wagner (which was my go-to funk piece), and the Jet is on my bari 90% of the time.

I find the Jet very controllable and in tune. The thing that really stands out to me is that while it has a lot of punch, it also has a huge amount of body and gets a full, rich sound. The Wagner was just bright with no mass behind it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very nice playing! Thanks for that!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies so far!
I have a Metalite M7. It's my only piece. I'm mainly a tenor player, so forking off huge amounts of cash is not my way to go.
I'm looking for something affordable and with more punch. I like the sound om my M7, but it feels limited in the higher register.
A lower beak angle would indeed be nice.
Does the Jet handle more air than the metalite?

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Yes, I play a Jet 8 and absolutely love it in funk settings. I've played dozens of different bari mouthpieces and this one is a great fit for me.

I made a video comparing it with my 2nd and 3rd favorite mouthpieces. Still use the Berg for old school jazz settings, sold the Wagner (which was my go-to funk piece), and the Jet is on my bari 90% of the time.

I find the Jet very controllable and in tune. The thing that really stands out to me is that while it has a lot of punch, it also has a huge amount of body and gets a full, rich sound. The Wagner was just bright with no mass behind it.
Like most guys who can play, none of them sound much different. I guess I preferred the Wagner.
I play the Selmer “Table C*” that came with the horn. It’s odd but I just prefer closed tips on everything. More color and easier to play in tune.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have Metalite M7 and Metalite M9 as well as the aforementioned Jody Jazzes (Quantum and Classic). The JJ's are indeed a little 'rounder' on the top end. Enough that I play them over the Metalites but not so much that I would spend hundreds replacing them...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Does the Jet handle more air than the metalite?
The Jet handles as much air as I can put in it and never gets thin on me. I think it's a great price for a pro hand finished mouthpiece and again, I prefer it over everything else including the $500+ models.

Like most guys who can play, none of them sound much different. I guess I preferred the Wagner.
I play the Selmer “Table C*” that came with the horn. It’s odd but I just prefer closed tips on everything. More color and easier to play in tune.
The good old Table C, you don't see those on the bandstand much anymore. Glad it works for you.

I definitely sound like me on different setups. But in live settings when the rhythm section is plugged in, I get drowned out on the Berg and the Wagner sounds nasaly. The Jody cuts through and keeps a nice sound.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
I ordered a JJ Jet. Got it yesterday. It's definitely an upgrade compared to the Metalite M7.
Difficult to control at first, mainly because of the low beak angle. I took in too much mouthpiece.

But what a sound! Powerful piece. Just what I was looking for. It will take me a few weeks getting used to it.
And as a bonus, it cleared up some problem notes (2nd register E/F).
I'm not into bari altissimo, but I could play a few with the same fingering as on tenor.
There was even, first by pure luck, a G4 coming out consistently! Just by overblowing a G3. I can't even do that on tenor...

So my conclusion after day 1: This is a gem. Can't wait to try it more. It has lots of potential I need to explore. Just loving it already.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
Update:
I ordered a JJ Jet. Got it yesterday. It's definitely an upgrade compared to the Metalite M7.
Difficult to control at first, mainly because of the low beak angle. I took in too much mouthpiece.

But what a sound! Powerful piece. Just what I was looking for. It will take me a few weeks getting used to it.
And as a bonus, it cleared up some problem notes (2nd register E/F).
I'm not into bari altissimo, but I could play a few with the same fingering as on tenor.
There was even, first by pure luck, a G4 coming out consistently! Just by overblowing a G3. I can't even do that on tenor...

So my conclusion after day 1: This is a gem. Can't wait to try it more. It has lots of potential I need to explore. Just loving it already.

I think they are great mouthpieces. They are incredibly efficient and can be a little hard to control at first, but there's plenty of depth and subtlety available.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update after 4 weeks of playing the Jet: Control is there now. It really does all for me. Very happy with it. I just changed the ligature to a one screw model.
Thanks for all your replies!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have been playing a rico graphite B7 on my JK bari and have been looking for something with similar capabilities, but thinner rails and easier articulation. Was looking at the Vandoren V5 B75, but will have to look into the jet in bari....haven't had a lot of luck with JJ pieces before, but I have never tried this one

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't go wrong with the Vandoren. They are in the same price range. I got the Jet for the easy playability and the edge. I can't comment on other JJ pieces, because this is my first one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Update after 4 weeks of playing the Jet: Control is there now. It really does all for me. Very happy with it. I just changed the ligature to a one screw model.
Thanks for all your replies!
Are you still playing the Jody Jett? Did you get a 7? I’ve got a Metalite m7. It’s loud but lacks depth. Do you still prefer it over the Metalite?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you still playing the Jody Jett? Did you get a 7? I’ve got a Metalite m7. It’s loud but lacks depth. Do you still prefer it over the Metalite?
I wouldn't say my Metalite M7 lacks depth. Compared to the JJ Jet 7 the Metalite is not very good in the upper register (palm keys). It sounds a lot thinner and more unstable.
Also a few problem notes are less problematic with the Jet. The Jet can also be pushed more.

I still prefer the Jet over the Metalite.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wouldn't say my Metalite M7 lacks depth. Compared to the JJ Jet 7 the Metalite is not very good in the upper register (palm keys). It sounds a lot thinner and more unstable.
Also a few problem notes are less problematic with the Jet. The Jet can also be pushed more.

I still prefer the Jet over the Metalite.
Maybe I’m not describing it correctly. I also have an Otto Link that has a much warmer sound?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts