Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here play/played a Couf Jazz mpc?

I have one, and after extending the shank so it doesn't fall off the neck I find that I realy like the piece. I can get into altissimo with so much ease with that mpc and it still have a nice full and dark tone.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I do sometimes when I can't sleep.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,734 Posts
I've got one for that EZ worked on. I sure wouldn't describe it as dark, but it is a very nice-playing piece. But I like my sound on a King MO (same as the Couf Artist Streamline) that someone opened to .100" much better. Much darker than the Couf Jazz.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my darkest piece is a woodwind piece, then a Couf Artist HR 6, but mine certainly isn't bright by any means and i consider it on the lower half of the dark-brightness scale (what ever that is) of the mpcs I use and have

·
3,406 Posts
Of course, I'm being a smartie-pants. :) Steve - what pieces have you played that you consider bright or the brightest? That Selmer Jazz D? I think the Couf jazz could be great if you are individually bell mic'd in a group setting. And I've noticed that your tone is generally darker than mine regardless of the mpc. I think you would sound great on a husky Dukoff or a Guardala Crescent

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are we talking about the Couf jazz tenor piece with the very high wedge baffle, or was there another model. I played one maybe 20 years ago that had the highest baffle I've ever seen. Herb Couf himself played my set-up while I stood next to him an listened, and he got a pretty mellow sound from it!

I still have that piece somewhere, but I swore to never play baffles like that again about 12 years ago.

·
3,406 Posts
Yes - denoted as a "J" in front of the facing number. I have a couple of the Jazz models that remained in the shop after Herb sold it.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
EZ said:
Of course, I'm being a smartie-pants. :) Steve - what pieces have you played that you consider bright or the brightest? That Selmer Jazz D? I think the Couf jazz could be great if you are individually bell mic'd in a group setting. And I've noticed that your tone is generally darker than mine regardless of the mpc. I think you would sound great on a husky Dukoff or a Guardala Crescent
actually it's bigger than a D .. i think you opened it to a F from an E

well .. when you have a Husky Dukoff (is that a Lowe's hardware store model ?) or the GC i'll come over and test 'em on my VII tenor (another bright horn :D )

gonna head to EK for a chat .. see what i can pick out of his garbage ;)

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
carr said:
Are we talking about the Couf jazz tenor piece with the very high wedge baffle, or was there another model. I played one maybe 20 years ago that had the highest baffle I've ever seen. Herb Couf himself played my set-up while I stood next to him an listened, and he got a pretty mellow sound from it!

I still have that piece somewhere, but I swore to never play baffles like that again about 12 years ago.
i frequented his shop very often. nice place back then .. though no Selmers to speak off in the store .. all his saxes were marked "Couf" for some reason? Go figure

·
3,406 Posts
I have a clear plastic SPC at .105. don't forget your respirator.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EZ said:

btw (being a smartie pantz too) I don't play super bright pieces. I learned my lesson when you played that Dukoff and the paint on my house walls peeled off. If you recall, we were playing at Your House.

·
3,406 Posts
stevesklar said:
btw (being a smartie pantz too) I don't play super bright pieces. I learned my lesson when you played that Dukoff and the paint on my house walls peeled off. If you recall, we were playing at Your House.
You can try my HR Ponzol Custom, too. Husky with my mods. You don't have to play super bright pieces. You just have to be heard - that's all. ;)

·
3,406 Posts
You could take it to EK's and have him play it - watch the aerodynamics inside the piece. You have to clean out the nicotine stains, though, when he's done.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I played one of these years ago. I was pretty nice and not as cutting as I would have expected from the extreme baffle. I don't know why, maybe the facing was long. Also the tip was smaller than the number would imply. I wish I hadn't sold it.

I remember it was a hassle trying to get the streamline one from WWBW so I settled for the fatter regular version J9*R.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the couf J piece is still one of the darker pieces I have .. a bit mellower than a Couf Artist 6*R (which is darker and can be pushed to being smokey) but the J has alot more projection and altissimmo screamer

and i do play darker than EZ .. prob due to my small throat going into my larger (though not as large as EZs) chamber (mouth) .. kinda the same structural setup as the J mpc !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts