Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever gone by saxman? Over the years I've seen this over and over, then over some more ... seems like 50% of sax players go by some variation of saxman.

Be honest, have you ever used it? Why is it so common?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
Umm, yeah, I use it. I use it because that's what I am in my mind - a sax man. Not a saxophonist or a horn man. To me the inherent meaning is I can play the iconic sax parts from all the hit records of the greatest era in pop music and to me this is the 'commercial' style that most people like. It means I usually am the only horn, and while this is a heavy responsibility, so far I am still able to pull it off. Typically I hear from people that they've never heard these things live before, not even in concert by the original artists. For example, have you ever heard anybody do 'Peppermint Twist' live with the baritone part? I bought a low A bari to do that song and it was worth it. While I will play in a horn section sometimes, there aren't many horn players that I like to work with. Most of them are sanctimonious prigs. It means while I certainly appreciate a compliment from a musician, I play for the non-musicians and don't care what anybody else thinks about it except the guys I'm working with.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
That was on my personalized license plate for a long time. Well, actually 1SAXMAN (or was it SAXMAN 1...I don't remember) because just plain SAXMAN was already taken. Why did I use it as my moniker? No deep reason really...it's just catchy and descriptive of what I do...like Batman.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
Hey, its on my plate too and has been since 1990. We're Sax Men! I use '1 saxman' as if to say 'I'm one sax man', not 'I'm the #1 sax man'. That kind of hyperbole is not me. in fact I was embarrassed the first time someone suggested that's what it meant. In addition, I was accused of supporting Bill Clinton because he was a sax player. Finally, people behind me still titter and giggle about the old man ahead of them who thinks he's '1 sex man'. Peoples' minds, or what passes for them, are not worth discussing - always taking the low road.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
I have been Dat Sax Man for decades. Of course, there is a story.

Played a pretty ordinary Friday night gig for well over a year some time ago.

Played with two brothers that were a lot of trouble. And the one sane guy was the bass player. He was often running late. Or I was. Maybe that had something to do
with the brothers.

Anyway, the first thing the bassman would always say ... " there's dat saxman!"

That happy sound meant that I could hang out with him instead of dealing with the bros. and pretty soon i discovered that i was already ...

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Nope. Never. Probably because I'm not a man.

·
Registered
697 Posts
almost as confusing as all the folks going by tenor madness who aren't associated with the business "tenor madness"

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
There is only one:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope. Never. Probably because I'm not a man.
I was wondering if you'd chime in :) Is there a common female equivalent? Saxwoman just doesn't have the same ring. Saxgal?

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
That was on my personalized license plate for a long time. Well, actually 1SAXMAN (or was it SAXMAN 1...I don't remember) because just plain SAXMAN was already taken. Why did I use it as my moniker? No deep reason really...it's just catchy and descriptive of what I do...like Batman.
I thought about doing that but reconsidered when I realized it might be an invitation to break in and steal my horn.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just brought this up to my friend, who stared blankly at me then said "my son in middle school just got an email address, saxman****@gmail.com"
It starts young!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
I was wondering if you'd chime in :) Is there a common female equivalent? Saxwoman just doesn't have the same ring. Saxgal?
There was an older lady who played a sweet old Buescher alto in my community band.
We called her "Saxy Granny". Wonderful woman and a danged good player.
She passed away a few years ago. I miss her...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts