Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I am calling it the right thing, but looking to get one of the thingys pictured below but one that covers the F# rod entirely (vs. the F$# lying in the top groove).
It's for a Selmer MK VII, would prefer older beat up a bit to match my horn.

I know, you are going to ask why I want to switch it....I just like type will protect the rod better, that and its bugging me.
Anyone know what is supposed to be original on this horn?
It didn't have one when I bought it and the shop put this on, thus the shineiness.

View attachment 245868

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,923 Posts
The tech crafted a really nice bit. What you have is not far off original. The tech lined it with Teflon too, no rookie.
Have the part reworked to your liking but don’t expect the redo for free.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tech crafted a really nice bit. What you have is not far off original. The tech lined it with Teflon too, no rookie.
Have the part reworked to your liking but don’t expect the redo for free.
Yes I know it’s nice, not the point. I’d like something different and a copy of original (which is what I’m looking for). There is no Teflon, btw.
I don’t expect it for free, I’d like to buy it myself, I assume it can be bought somewhere, which is my original question.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I checked the usual parts suppliers Allied, Ferrees, and Votaw and they don't carry that part or anything similar. The Conn-Selmer Parts website is not working at this time, but I have had little success with that company in the past. You might be able to find a badly damaged Mark VII selling for parts, buy it, get the part you need and resell it or perhaps do the same with a Chinese Selmer knockoff. I concur with PigSquealer that having a tech fabricate one from brass stock is the most logical solution. If a part is the same size and shape and is functional, what difference does it make if it is not original? Most cars on the road today have replacement parts that are not OEM and if they are as good a quality and work properly it shouldn't matter.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
A half-decent tech can make whatever you want reasonably easily.
Random dabs of lacquer and heat it to oxidize/age it and the brass.
So all you really need is a photo of an original - to copy.
Making one would almost certainly cost a lot less in time than the time spent attempting, possibly unsuccessfully, to obtain one.

(Most of these supports are pretty odd in their design, so it's not too difficult to design/make one that is better than the original.)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, i was more hoping for the fact that they were made already or someone had one laying around they wanted to sell.
If not I will wait until the horn needs some other work as schlepping it to NYC is a PITA.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Piece of brass bar stock, hacksaw a slot, clean it up and refine it with a file, drill/tap/whatever for the retaining screw(s). Smooth with descending grits of wet/dry paper, then polish with metal polish, clean off with alcohol or acetone, spray some clear lacquer spray from the hardware store.

It would be easier with a lathe and a Bridgeport mill, but not required.

Alternately you could probably make a little "topper" to go over the top of the thing and secured with two screws. Or maybe a snap ring.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,968 Posts
I don’t expect it for free, I’d like to buy it myself, I assume it can be bought somewhere, which is my original question.
Expect a $100+ job if a tech or machinist makes one. If that is a comfortable price point for you, then proceed.

I would echo others...you have one that works fine currently. If it is too shiny looking, take it off and go at it with some sandpaper and steel wool....wait a few months and it will start to patina....(?)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Expect a $100+ job if a tech or machinist makes one. If that is a comfortable price point for you, then proceed.

I would echo others...you have one that works fine currently. If it is too shiny looking, take it off and go at it with some sandpaper and steel wool....(?)
Again, I would rather have one that looks like original eqiupment, that is my preference, and original one sat over all rods.
Again, wondering if there is one floating out there that does not have to be made.
Appreciate the alternative thinkings, but not what I want.
It's just my preference.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Again, I would rather have one that looks like original eqiupment, that is my preference, and original one sat over all rods.
Again, wondering if there is one floating out there that does not have to be made.
Appreciate the alternative thinkings, but not what I want.
It's just my preference.
I think that it is the same as used now on the SA80 & Reference Tenor Saxophone, a replacement one from Dawkes Music, here in the UK, is under £10.00.

Hope that this helps you.

Regards, Peter.

·
3,923 Posts
Over the years the fabricating has changed. You could still ask your repair tech for a creative option match.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that it is the same as used now on the SA80 & Reference Tenor Saxophone, a replacement one from Dawkes Music, here in the UK, is under £10.00.

Hope that this helps you.

Regards, Peter.
A-HA!
Thank you Peter!
Exactly what i was looking for!
Have never seen the Dawkes Music site, they have a lot of cool stuff!
For that price I will give it a whirl!

·
3,923 Posts
You could also call/email Tenor Madness. The link I gave you in post five. Located in Iowa.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A-HA!
Thank you Peter!
Exactly what i was looking for!
Have never seen the Dawkes Music site, they have a lot of cool stuff!
For that price I will give it a whirl!
You could send an email to ask their in house repairers if they know if the part will fit a Mark 7.

Glad to be of help.

Regards Peter.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You could also call/email Tenor Madness. The link I gave you in post five. Located in Iowa.
Thanks PigSquealer, and a big thanks to Tom at Tenor Madness, he had a drawer full of options...and now my anal retentiveness to detail can subside (for 4 minutes).

View attachment 246846

·
3,923 Posts
Thanks PigSquealer, and a big thanks to Tom at Tenor Madness, he had a drawer full of options...
I didn’t really do anything but you’re welcome all the same. Is the part some kind of slip on cover. Did you need to remove/alter anything existing? Nice to see you have a good color match;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts