Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get a silver 6M/Cmel neck screw?
Tried Tenor Madness, no luck, they said it is a rare thing to find.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a silver 6M/Cmel neck screw?
Tried Tenor Madness, no luck, they said it is a rare thing to find.
Just get a stock silver screw from somewhere and have someone tap the tightening hole on the tenon.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Getting an ORIGINAL 6M one? Good luck. Only thing I could think of is if someone had a parts horn laying around but you don't usually see that with the silver ones.

Come to think of it, I know a guy who I think has a Conn C-Mel for display. I will see him today and ask if he could do without the neck screw (if it's still there). If I get it I'll let you know and send it to you. As long as you're confident the C-Mel neck screw would work. I have no idea if the 6M and C-Mel neck screws are the same, but would think they'd be different??? Anyways, I'll let you know.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If you got a silver plated neck screw with the same thread and a similar shape most people would not be able to tell if it was original or not. I can't see whether that matters as long as it looks like it goes with the instrument and works.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Take a brass one to an independent jewelry shop and have them silver plate it for you.

The last time I needed a neck screw I took a standard slotted round head machine screw and soldered a penny into the slot. All class!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting an ORIGINAL 6M one? Good luck. Only thing I could think of is if someone had a parts horn laying around but you don't usually see that with the silver ones.

Come to think of it, I know a guy who I think has a Conn C-Mel for display. I will see him today and ask if he could do without the neck screw (if it's still there). If I get it I'll let you know and send it to you. As long as you're confident the C-Mel neck screw would work. I have no idea if the 6M and C-Mel neck screws are the same, but would think they'd be different??? Anyways, I'll let you know.

- Saxaholic
I moved my C-mel screw to the 6M and it was fine, so now the brass one is on the C-mel, so yes, they are the same

and thank you!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you got a silver plated neck screw with the same thread and a similar shape most people would not be able to tell if it was original or not. I can't see whether that matters as long as it looks like it goes with the instrument and works.
I don't have any, and agree, do not really care if original, only if fits and same shape as original.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
The cost of the time involved in trying to likely-unsuccessfully source one is less than the cost of a semi-decent technician making one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts