Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hallo.. do you know if this soprano is legit or not? andd is it a good soprano ?because i'm thinking to buy this sax but still confuse is it worth it or not..the guy sell it in second condition for 1000$.. can you guys help me to decide whether should i buy this sax or not? please thankyou.. sorry for my bad english.. this is my first tine buying soprano sax.. i usually plays alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
I had an LA Sax soprano that looked like this (except that it was black). It was a decent horn - but the price he is asking sounds like the 'new' price. Used it should go for half that.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an LA Sax soprano that looked like this (except that it was black). It was a decent horn - but the price he is asking sounds like the 'new' price. Used it should go for half that.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
oh reallyyy? half price? wow.. oh ya i forgot to mention.. he said that this is the 5 digits early model of la sax .. so its rare .. but idk if its true or not.. i googled it and there is something with this five digits LA Sax tho ..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
a "rare" LA sax? lol. Perhaps, but it's no mark 6...

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
These older model of LA sax are not worth that much. I think the newer ones are good horns. There is nothing special about an older Taiwan made horn. They have improved dramatically since these days. You could look for an Allora Paris series used for the same money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
Those older LA sax are , in some cases, sought after for the more daring color schemes but that is more or less it, there is no inherent quality making these more desirable than other saxophones (you could buy a Jupiter or its reincarnation Buffet Evette for a lot less and do way better ).

Being “ rarer” has noting to do with value.

Value is something that is established by market forces and the last time I looked there were not many “ collectors” fighting over L.A. Saxes for sale (which is what drive the “ price” of any secondhand item up and if there is no demand to support an high price the sold item would go unsold).

In my opinion you could spend a little more and buy yourself a Yamaha or a Yanagisawa and have a proven robust horn which would have a proven recorded value when it comes to reselling it if and when you decide to buy another saxophone.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just remember these things just being really bad? Has that opinion changed in modern times?

For that price it seems like you could grab a Yanagisawa made Vito or Whitehall stencil and have a whole lot better horn.

·
38,817 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
I owned two LA Sax sopranos near identical to this one, one in black and another in clear lacquer, around 12 years ago. If one came up for sale over 250 bucks I would pass on it, and I am probably the world’s biggest fan of Taiwanese saxes. They were much like Barrington stenciled horns - mediocre at best as players mainly due to poor intonation. The Cecilio Mendini out of China at $200 bucks from Amazon will be more pleasing to the ear.

The E.M.Winstons from the same period were much better. As I recall, there was a low-end 350GL and maybe a Pro or Pro 1, and some higher number LN, that were even better. Four or five of those passed through my hands and they were all excellent players. Those you should still be able to bag for $300-$500, depending on cosmetics.

LA Sax came a long way, not sure if just shortly before or during their link-up to Gemeinhardt. I have an LA Sax Big Lip tenor that is on a par with the Cannonball Big Bell, but sans engraving. I still would not buy one of their newer sopranos, if they even sold them, without playing it.

·
38,817 Posts
the big lip series was made by a completely different factory

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, LA Sax was an importer just like Cannonball and others. I have no idea what factories supplied the company over the years.

The LA Sax sopranos of old were sketchy. But I have to add that there is an excellent sax player in Maine who I heard numerous times playing soprano in a jazz combo. He played the same model LA Sax that I owned and he sounded fantastic. But his technique leaned toward playing a thousand notes per measure, so I didn't pick up whether he was able to control the intonation or get passed it.

·
38,817 Posts
the big lip series was made by a completely different factory
I quote myself from a different thread

the BIG lip series was made in Taiwan by Frankie Yang and Moon Chen and imported in the US by Dennis Bamber ( who invented the term big lip) . ...

·
38,817 Posts
I have worked with Ms. Chen and Mr. Yang , back then co-owners of a company called HL-Sax, in the capacity of Export Manager for all the markets other than the US .

At the time they had an exclusive agreement for the US with Mr. Dennis Bamber who owned the brand L.A. Sax .

After that things changed and Ms. Chen and Mr. Yang parted ways (she started another venture called Sagacious , later on Rotory Music Ltd.).

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I have a big lip x tenor and it is an excellent horn. I have not played the new soprano, but have held one. I believe the tenors are made at the same factory as the Allora Chicago Jazz. I would guess likely the same with the soprano.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My LA Sax has a 5x,xxx serial number, bright red paint and gold keywork. She belonged to a friend's late father-in law. My friend doesn't play reeds and he needed cash, so I purchased it from him. The Lady in Red is difficult to control like any tiny reed (I'm reminded of my eefer), but pleasing to the ear when I keep the intonation straight. $1k? I agree - too much by a factor of two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts