Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've accumulated quite a few mouthpieces, and one of my favorites is the Jody Jazz HR*. They classify it in the middle of their tone spectrum, with the DVNY being the darkest, and the DV being the brightest (I have the DV). I prefer metal mouthpieces, but Jody doesn't make a metal piece with "middle" tone (why?).

Does anyone know of a metal mouthpiece with a similar sound to the HR*? The DV is much brighter, and I'm afraid the DVNY would be too dark, so I'm looking to other brands now.

Any input appreciated...

This is tenor, by the way.

·
Registered
565 Posts
have you tried the Jody Jazz Chi model? It is between the NY and DV in brightness.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have it listed as pretty close to the DV side. I may try it, but since it's pretty new, there aren't a bunch of used ones floating around, and I don't think I want to pay full price for one of those suckers. I do have my eye on ebay for one...

thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
The CHI is closer to the DV than the DVNY. Out of the 3 DV models, the DVNY is the closest to the HR* in my opinion. Both are kind of based off of their Otto Link counterparts.

For other brands, you might want to try a Drake Metal NY Jazz M. You can hear clips here: http://www.drakeceramicinstruments.com/Drake_Metal_Mouthpieces.html

Or maybe even Phil Barone's newest model, the Super New York. I don't know if he's selling them yet, but you can hear Steve Neff play one here: http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/09/phil-barone-super-new-york-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece/

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I have a JJ DV Chi 7* (now my #1 piece) and a JJ HR 7* and I've played the regular DV and DVNY in 7 & 7*on a few occasions. For me, the DVNY is the closest in sound the the HR*. If you haven't tried one you might want to try scoring a used DVNY. You can probably get one here or on ebay for a reasonable price and if you don't like it you'll be able to sell it for very close to what you paid for it.

·
Banned
593 Posts
why not just play the HR?

i bought an HR and really like it. i play others sometimes but its the JJ is apealing. Its hard to put a reason on the why.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,253 Posts
Did you give the ESP a try ? I know they are discontinued. But they have a pretty large chamber and classic design. I felt it had more grit than the DVNY. I almost bought one for my tenor, finally keeping my current STM. But I did buy one for the barisax, where it's versatility is perfect for me.
I think someone on the forum sometime said he suspects that JJ discontinued them because they were priced to low...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Did you give the ESP a try. I know they are discontinued. But they have a pretty large chamber and classic design. I felt it had more grit than the DVNY. I almost bought one for my tenor, finally keeping my current STM. But I did buy one for the barisax, where it's versatility is perfect for me.
I think someone on the forum sometime said he suspects that JJ discontinued them because they were priced to low...
+1 for the ESP.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm borrowing an ESP right now, and it's too bright. I'm also borrowing a Claude Lakey brass Apollo-type, and it's great-- much closer to the sound I'm looking for.

The Barone and Drake metal NYs do sound fantastic, but they won't be available on the used market for a while, and they're pretty pricey new (Barone Super NY isn't even available yet).

I have my eye out for a Jody Jazz DVNY, but who knows when that will pop up in a size I can manage (7)...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Interesting. I've played both the JJ HR* and the DVNY and would not put them in the same tonal category. I'd put the HR as brighter with some of that brightness right on the edge of the sound. I got none of that from the NY.

Likewise, I played a JJ ESP in the past and would put it closer to the NY (although quieter ampc) than to the JJ for similar reasons.

Maaaaybe an ESP with its spoiler would be closer to a JJ HR, although as a former ESP player on both alto and tenor, I admit to personally not liking the sounds I got with the spoilers and didn't use them.

I believe that the HR* was designed to give a modern vibe to a traditional HR Link/Berg sound of the 50s/60s. If that's the case, and if you're looking for a metal substitute for the JJ HR, how about something radical - a Link STM?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
if you're looking for a metal substitute for the JJ HR, how about something radical - a Link STM?
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a Floridated version or even some of the boutique metals that are designed in the Link vein....Warburton LA, Drake metal NY M, Wanne Gaia or Brahma etc, etc, etc.....

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Try a DV NY. If it is too dark, add some temporary putty (like poster-hanging or mounting putty) to build up the baffle to something in-between the NY and the CHI. If this does it for you, it can be made semi-permanent with epoxy putty.

If you like the unique feel of the DV duckbill design, this is the best way to dial in a mouthpiece that you will like IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,753 Posts
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a Floridated version or even some of the boutique metals that are designed in the Link vein....Warburton LA, Drake metal NY M, Wanne Gaia or Brahma etc, etc, etc.....
... and that leads back to the guy that has been doing variations-on-a-Link for perhaps the longest time - Phil Barone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was staying away from Links because there are SO many and there's such a strange reputation: some are great, some are aweful, many new ones aren't good. And it seems like I couldn't find a good used one, because why would someone sell it?

I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a used DVNY 7 if I can find one, and build up the baffle as Mojo suggested. I looked at all my pieces and noticed that the ones I like best don't have a baffle (I don't know how to describe it well, but holding the piece upside-down, the baffle/chamber slopes smoothly to the bore, with no drop-off).

I like the sound of the Theo Wanne Gaia and Ambika, but those are $600 USED, so a bit out of my price range...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have all of Jody's pieces, HR, DVNY, DV, ESP, and CHI. (disclaimer: I'm also one of his endorsed artists) I've used each of them professionally and in my opinion they rank, from darkest to brightest:

DV NY
ESP (no spoiler)
HR
ESP (with spoiler)
CHI
DV

I now play the CHI and it is my current favorite. I find it to be much more flexible than any of the other pieces and it is not nearly as bright as the DV. I honestly like all of Jody's pieces but have found the CHI to be the one I feel I can play on a variety of gigs from funk/R&B and pop/rock to pit and big band gigs. It's got a pretty wide spectrum of colors, will scream when you push it, but is also capable of being very silky and rich as well.

I also like the HR and will often take it out on rock/pop/R&B gigs. My only complaint is that I can't get as much volume out of it so I'm relying much more on monitoring to hear myself well.

Try the CHI. You won't be disappointed. And Jody has a very generous trial policy.

Before I began playing Jody's pieces I played Vandoren V16's I had worked by Jon Yoakum in LA. They were fantastic and very flexible as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Joe - I hate to do this to you but I'll stop by and let you try the two Theo Wanne mpcs I have :) The Durga and DATTA are brighter than what you are looking for but you at least need to try out the response. I also have something else for you to try. It is a smaller HR mpc but has a mix of dark and bright but also easy to play.

- Tom

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks John. Even though the ESP is "darker", it still doesn't sound quite right to me. It's buzzier and less comfortable to play. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the CHI, especially since you use that and the HR.

Tom - thanks again for your generosity. I'd love to try the Theos (of course, I'm a little afraid that I'll really like them, considering cost). I suspect the Gaia is the closest to the sound I want, but if I can "darken" a brighter one with a reed or embouchure adjustment, that would be great.

I'm liking the Lakey quite a bit, though I wish they had a better numbering system (7 = .110? Working my chops quite a bit...).

I guess I want a single piece that can do everything from funk to Dexter Gordon or Ben Webster (if that's at all possible).

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
I guess I want a single piece that can do everything from funk to Dexter Gordon or Ben Webster (if that's at all possible).
Two possiblities that I've played that fall into this are:
Ponzol brass ML
Barone Hollywood

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
Then I'd suggest an RPC. But that's HR so I guess it doesn't help. I suspect there are quite a few metal mpcs that would be versatile enough though, depending on the player.

One question, just out of curiousity: Does the JJ HR mpc have the sound you want? If so, why mess around looking for something else just to get it in metal? Is it that you want a different beak profile?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.