Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Wasn't the 500 series double register key? Anyway, this one is single register, and looks like it's had several decades of heavy use, likely an ex-school horn. Either the wood has knots, or it's been pinned. Case dates from the '60's, I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,906 Posts
Looks the same as my Low Eb Leblanc which I use for club dates. Single register, plays ok, but nothing special. Well built. Those thumb keys look a little hard to reach. I have played a newer model with double reg key that was pretty good.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This post piqued my interest, so I checked around on model #'s. There aren't any 500 series Leblanc basses, and the bore of any bass is going to be far more than .500 of an inch, so I'm not sure where the "500" came from. Serial number? Quinn's BIN price is pretty optimistic for a well-used, single register Leblanc. I'm guessing it's worth about half that. I remember reading somewhere that Univ of Michigan bought some low C Leblancs in the 60's, had problems with cracking, and replaced them with Selmers. I mention that because this horn looks like it's been pinned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
If I recall correctly, there was a limited run of "super-large bore" Leblanc bass clarinets with the model number of 500. I believe Larry Bocaner (retired bass clarinetist of the Washington, DC National Sympony Orchestra) has one, you might contact him for better information. I think his was made with some modifications on special order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts