Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would ask if anyone had either of these and managed to get out the other side ok???

I've had some chemo and now having radiotherapy and it seems to be wiping me out, I have never felt so tired, anxiety is through the roof and have quite a few saxes that i shall have to sell on too. I dearly wanted to continue repairing them but that dream is fast disappearing as need an eye op and can't have that until HBA1C is down below 70 and that shall not go down whilst having this treatment.

I am not even playing these days as do not have the energy, i have sat and held some of them ready to play, managed a few notes and then I have to sleep again, talk about die trying lol. At least I only have three weeks left of treatments and then with a whole lot of luck can ring the bell of success?!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,831 Posts
Hello Melissa,

first of all my best wishes to you and I wish you all the best and a complete recovery from the illness and to go through the Therapies in the best way possible.

Every case is different and one shouldn’t draw conclusion for oneself base on other people with different cases scenarios, still...

As you know I have a 80 years old friend who has just undergone treatment for his lymphoma. In his case the cancer is only partly treatable but can’t be cured. The illness will return.

Despite this (he is a radiologist and knows exactly what he is facing) he has been going through phases of extreme tiredness but he has kept an extremely active lifestyle. He has also started to study at a Jazz education center in Amsterdam and sometimes he spends Mondays there from 13:00 to 19:00 with breaks in between.

All the best for you , I am sure the thoughts of all of us here are with you. Please keep us posted.

Your horns look very beautiful.

I am sure that you deserve a lot of credit for your incredibly careful repairs with all the care and dedication that you are putting in this much skilled craft.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a friend and she is 72 yrs of age, she had radiotherapy and it did not affect her in the slightest though this is all she had, I was just wondering about other players and how they managed, share stories and thoughts perhaps. I would have loved to progress with the music reading as have always played by ear but sadly my eyesight is now pretty horrendous that I cannot even repair anything right now. I managed to finish my last two alto saxes before I put my workshop to one side and am just wondering what to do with myself.

Thank you for your kind comments Milandro they are always very much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I just thought I would ask if anyone had either of these and managed to get out the other side ok???

I've had some chemo and now having radiotherapy and it seems to be wiping me out, I have never felt so tired, anxiety is through the roof and have quite a few saxes that i shall have to sell on too. I dearly wanted to continue repairing them but that dream is fast disappearing as need an eye op and can't have that until HBA1C is down below 70 and that shall not go down whilst having this treatment.

I am not even playing these days as do not have the energy, i have sat and held some of them ready to play, managed a few notes and then I have to sleep again, talk about die trying lol. At least I only have three weeks left of treatments and then with a whole lot of luck can ring the bell of success?!
Hi Melissa,

I was on interferon for six months, it's a form of chemo used for people with hepatitis c and it was hell. Lots of anxiety and depression, despondency and no energy. I slept all the time. The doctors gave me anti-depressants but they had little effect. Nevertheless, I came through it and I'm considered cured. But you only have three weeks left so anti-depressants wouldn't have time to work so you'll have to ride it out. You can do it though, lots of people do and as a musician who's abused his body, I know a few musicians, some very well known ones that have been through treatment and are now doing fine. One very well known player had to do it three times each time for a year. You will get through this, it'll end. I guarantee it.

Don't give up what you love, you'll be at it again in time so keep your chin up and do your best at staying positive. Please contact me if there's anything I can do. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
Melissa, my wife is receiving chemo - 2 drugs to attack cancers in several places. She recently started that and is doing well, no nausea, no fatigue. But other people we know who are doing chemo have the same complaint as you - terrible fatigue. My wife will probably be on chemo or some treatment until the end, but at least you only have a few weeks of chemo to go. You should be able to get through that and hopefully the fatigue will go away. I wish you the best.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Sending my best wishes. My dad is 71, just had 30 Radiotherapy sessions, last one about 5 weeks ago. Final week wiped him out. Just starting to regain taste and feeling better now slowly . Its a heavy duty thing so time is key. Speedy recovery for you.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I managed to finish my last two alto saxes before I put my workshop to one side and am just wondering what to do with myself.
Maybe try to enjoy just listening to some soothing sounds on the days when you are too tired to do much else? I have chronic pain from some old injuries and on my bad days, I find it very meditative to engage in "deep listening" where I direct my full attention to one voice in a recording of a jazz band or orchestra and try to follow it from start to finish. When my mom had cancer, we used to watch classic movies together on the days when she wasn't feeling up for much else. I saw a lot of great films that I probably would never have even known about otherwise.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and the best of health, Melissa!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've not gone through it myself, but my wife had extensive chemo. The chemo made her tired/nauseous, but she also had some pretty high anxiety levels. We found out that the high anxiety levels were from a drug that they gave her with it called dexamethasone. It apparently helps the chemo work, and can restore some appetite, but it sent her anxiety levels through the roof. Do they have you on some other drugs in addition to the chemo?

Anyway, sorry to hear that you're going through this. It's pretty scary all around, and anxiety is probably pretty normal even without all the illness and drug side effects. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
649 Posts
Melissa, hang on, you'll get through this.

My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in his 50s. Nasty diagnosis -- surgery, then chemo. I remember coming home and seeing him lying on the couch, wiped out. But he made it through, and lived to 85.

You'll get through this. Music will be there waiting when you're done. I like MrBlueNote's suggestion: if you can't play, listen, or watch.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I had large doses of both chemo and radiation during the course of a bone marrow transplant as treatment for leukemia in 1987.

Then again in 2016 I had surgery to remove a cancerous section of my colon followed up by 6 rounds of chemo to clean up any stray cells that might have been present.

Best regards to you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Currently on Chemo...off and on over several years now. It's supposed to stop in 3 weeks for me too.

My guess is that I'm one of the lucky ones...

I'm still gigging, eating, loving....

...and I won't back down.

They are learning more about how to kick cancer in the *** every day. Stay strong.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I haven't (knock on wood) but I've been involved in some of the new research based on big data analytics and the progress over the last 3-4 years is mind-bogging. Stay strong! Hopefully everything will go away and you'll be like brand new!

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
649 Posts
Granted one does what one must to survive but seriously, hats off and a bow to all of you. Fight for every day and make it count.
+1. Rock on, all of you badasses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I had 15 RT sessions back in 1990 a recurring neuro-fibroma -non-malignant tumour- 'turned' It had little effect physically -at the time-as i was very fit. A few months after treatment I broke a leg, apparently the RT had depleted calcium leaving my bones very weak. The break took months to heal,unlike when I broke the other leg age 6-I was riding my bike in 6 weeks!
I suffer from osteo-arthritis and sciatica nowadays both intermittently, probably induced by the RT all those years ago. Treatments for cancer have very different effects on individuals both short and long term. I wish you well Melissa, chemo is not a pleasant experience -either for men or women-I sincerely hope you make a full recovery.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First, best wishes and hoping for a speedy recovery. Chemo will definitely sap all of your energy so don’t be hard on yourself...just accept the limitations and take solace in the moments you do have enough energy for,anything more than sleep.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts