Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looks like I'm going to have to get an implant to replace a failed/broken, root-canaled tooth. Upper left canine, close to the front. I'm a bit worried about vibration issues afterward - can't imagine that pin will transmit vibrations from the mouthpiece into my skull the same way the natural tooth did. Anybody have any experience, positive or negative, with implants that close to the mouthpiece?

Thanks in advance,

MF

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I needed a lot more work than you and completed it about 18 months ago. I could not be more pleased with the results. In fact it helped improve my flute tone in particular and gave me the comfort to go back to metal mouthpieces on tenor. If you have a good dentist you should get good results as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
I doubt an implant with prosthetic tooth on #11 will cause you any trouble whatsoever in playing the sax. #7, 8, 9, or 10 would be more involved with the mouthpiece, esp. 8 and 9 which are your incisors, and even on those implants should be no problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
Hey all,

Looks like I'm going to have to get an implant to replace a failed/broken, root-canaled tooth. Upper left canine, close to the front. I'm a bit worried about vibration issues afterward - can't imagine that pin will transmit vibrations from the mouthpiece into my skull the same way the natural tooth did. Anybody have any experience, positive or negative, with implants that close to the mouthpiece?

Thanks in advance,

MF
Every person is different but this has happened before to others, maybe you want to read about it?

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?204569-Dental-implants
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?159177-Question-for-Other-Dental-Implant-Patients
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?100910-Need-advice-on-major-dental-work

there are more threads. Good luck!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I read those threads, Milandro - I'll second the yikes factor when it comes to the price. Being quoted around $5000 right now...that's really steep.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks all. I read those threads, Milandro - I'll second the yikes factor when it comes to the price. Being quoted around $5000 right now...that's really steep.
just an fyi : In algodones mexico there is really cheap dental care. must be ok because many US and Canadians go. Like 1/3 or even much less of the cost.

·
Banned
652 Posts
just an fyi : In algodones mexico there is really cheap dental care. must be ok because many US and Canadians go. Like 1/3 or even much less of the cost.
Singapore is the place to go for dental work, and really any major procedures. Top quality care for rock bottom prices thanks to extreme free market competition for the health care tourism dollar.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I had my work done at the best place in Thailand for much less than in the states and it could not have gone better.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
OP: I remember seeing a thread where the poster said he was VERY upset about the affects of an implant on his playing. I don't remember the details but it might be worth your while to look for that thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts