Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a friend that Yamaha has a new prototype tenor they have put in the hands of some big time players called the Yamaha Custom VI that's supposed to be the next best thing. Has anybody heard anything about this?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sweet! It's about time they just call it a VI. I've heard of one guy who said the prototype was better than his 86xxx Mark VI and SBA. Do you know when it's supposed to come out?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I don’t know about a VI but they already have a V1 (neck).

·
Banned
297 Posts
yikes!.............considering the custom horns are already dam serious, i willing to bet this will be the jackpot horn! if yamaha doesnt try to pull a selmer move a price themselves out of the market i think a lot of jazz heads will buy them!

·
Banned
297 Posts
yikes!.............considering the custom horns are already dam serious, i willing to bet this will be the jackpot horn! if yamaha doesnt try to pull a selmer move a price themselves out of the market i think a lot of jazz heads will buy them!
i recently got a custom 875 tenor to my already mk6 and 66r lineup! its now my workhorse!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Sounds enticing, particularly if they went to the trouble of omitting the high F# and building the action close to the body like the Selmer MK VI. If it hits any store near me I'll try it with my MK VI set-up. If its good, I guess I would have to think about it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I heard from a friend that Yamaha has a new prototype tenor they have put in the hands of some big time players called the Yamaha Custom VI that's supposed to be the next best thing. Has anybody heard anything about this?
I have no doubt they can make an exceptional prototype. I owned YTS-61 #0004 and it was far better than any production Yamaha I've played. The unlacquered Z that Jeff Coffin plays is also one of the first prototypes of that model.

Unfortunately the production models always lack the personality of those handmade horns, even though they wear the ironic "Custom" label.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I posted about this a while back, the next Gen Z, Atelier. I tested it then when the Yamaha rep brought the 1st one in the UK into Headwind, no lacquer no high F#. AMAZINGGGGGGG and the case is niceeeeee

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Sounds enticing, particularly if they went to the trouble of omitting the high F# and building the action close to the body like the Selmer MK VI. If it hits any store near me I'll try it with my MK VI set-up. If its good, I guess I would have to think about it.
Ergos are really close, one I blew had no F# and UL finish. Owned a bunch of MKVI's and a bunch of Z's , this Ateliar is frikkin awesomeee. Most responsive horn I ever blew

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I much preferred the Mark VI. The Yamaha was good, but once he started on the MarkVI it was like he was home. And the sound was just bette, to my ear..
Haaaaa, he had the phone recorder in different places …… he was standing right into the MKVI bell for the Selmer one, cant be a fair side by side. I have blew the Ateliar and its epiccccc

1 - 20 of 43 Posts