Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it all in French? How useful is it for a non-French speaker?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I own it, but haven't looked at it in a while. If I remember correctly, there are French, English, and German (and possibly other) translations all together, so just find the English line (usually right below the French) and you're good to go.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Knowing Londeix, he probably doesn't say too much anyway. I have a few of his exercise books and most of the text just relates to the fingerings he wants you to use. I don't have that specific book, but I think maybe you could find an equally good scale books for a lot less money - these French books tend to be overpriced. But if you are determined to buy it, I've bought some things direct from the Lemoine website and the shipping costs were very fair.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It is in French, Spanish, English and German. The book has a few paragraphs explanation behind the theory of the scales and how to practice them. I don't think you really need the book "per se" all the time. It's best to use it as a reference only if you get stuck along the way. From what I hear, Hemke has all his students play the scales in the book at 152. :shock:

·
Registered
639 Posts
The book covers all the major and their relative harmonic minor scales and it covers 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc., all the way to octaves.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I found this book at classicsax.com it is in two volumes. Volume one is a scale study from low Bb to high F. The second volme continues with scale study into the altissimo register. They look very useful but are quite expensive.

Chris

·
Registered
216 Posts
Chris, I think the books you found are the volumes published by Leduc. There is also a book published by Lemoine called "Gammes conjointes et en intervalles" ("The scale by steps and by intervals"), which is the book I thought we were talking about up until now. You can see a page from the Lemoine book here: http://www.henry-lemoine.com/pdf/24027.pdf

I think the second volume of the Leduc book is significantly more demanding that the Lemoine book.

In general, Lemoine's books are a good bit cheaper then Leduc's.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I see. The books I found are entitled Gammes et Modes Vol. 1 and 2. Obviously two different books. The second book is more demanding. With the descriptions I have read regarding both books it seems that the content is similar whether you go with the Leduc book or the Lemoine. Both look like very useful resources.

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
I looked at them awhile ago but ended up buying Joe Viola's Tech of the Sax Scale Studies. Great book and a great scale workout.
frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts