Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating buying a new tenor. I play mostly rock and R&B. Although I'm playing in two bands I'm by no means a professional. I gig once a month perhaps, mostly for charity.

I've seen this particular model being blown out for half price. I've heard only good things about the Keilwerth horns but there seems very little info on the web on this model.

Also, does anyone know if it has the alternate f# key?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
If you're buying new, then there aren't any better deals to be had on European horns than this. Even Japanese professional horns are going for more than this. I haven't tried this specific model, but if it's a German-made SX90 then I would be all over it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
One of my band mates has one and I've tried one. Nice horn. The sound reminds me of the older Conns, at least to my ear. I prefer the French more centered sound, but these are nice too. At 1/2 price, how can you go wrong, if it is , in fact, the German made horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
Just to be clear, we're talking about the new model, not the vintage tone king from years ago. They are basically a SX90 without the rolled tone-holes. The only caveat, since you only play out a few times a month; many players find that the Keilwerth saxes take more air than say, a Yamaha or Selmer tenor. If you find your tenor "backs up" and you can't put enough air into it, this could be a great horn. On the other hand, if you don't have strong lungs or chops, this could just make you tired.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Crap:tsk:, why'd you have to mention these again? Now I went and ordered one(alto, not tenor). Now I feel almost like a politician, only I can't go in the back room and print more money! And instead of spending your money that you don't have, I spent my money that I don't have! Crap!:cry:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crap:tsk:, why'd you have to mention these again? Now I went and ordered one. Now I feel almost like a politician, only I can't go in the back room and print more money! And instead of spending your money that you don't have, I spent my money that I don't have! Crap!:cry:
I bought one too. Seeing the used ones costing the same as the new I figured I can't go wrong. Especially w/ the 45 day money back guaranty.

·
4,370 Posts
I used to play SX90's and they were great saxes. Let's hope the new ones measure up!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I tried a used one a month ago and fell in love with it. Great, open sound, plenty of body with a Jody Jazz. Almost did a Fred Sanford (Elizabeth! I'm coming honey), when the dealer told me $5K+ for a used horn...

So I ain't got it.

-A

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
Just to be clear, we're talking about the new model, not the vintage tone king from years ago. They are basically a SX90 without the rolled tone-holes.
Just to be clearer :mrgreen:......... the SX90 does not have rolled tone holes. The SX90R has the rolled tone holes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
So what is the verdict folks? A few people here bought from WWBW when they went on sale. How are they?

·
4,370 Posts
In a word...GREAT! I finally gave in to temptation and played my new alto. I have been wishy washy on whether or not to sell it, so I decided I had to play it. At least for the moment(I have Attention Deficit Disorder)it is OFF ebay. It sounds and plays as good as any other JK alto I've played. The neck was a tight fit, and a couple pads are a little sticky(where's my alcohol?), but no big deal. At $2,099 I'm glad I didn't pass up this deal. Now if the economy would just get better! Rumor has it they only made one batch of these and won't be making anymore. Seems a shame.

·
4,370 Posts
Well, the alcohol took care of the sticky pads, as usual. Now it's a lean, mean, saxophone machine:bom:!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
In a word...GREAT! I finally gave in to temptation and played my new alto. I have been wishy washy on whether or not to sell it, so I decided I had to play it. At least for the moment(I have Attention Deficit Disorder)it is OFF ebay. It sounds and plays as good as any other JK alto I've played. The neck was a tight fit, and a couple pads are a little sticky(where's my alcohol?), but no big deal. At $2,099 I'm glad I didn't pass up this deal. Now if the economy would just get better! Rumor has it they only made one batch of these and won't be making anymore. Seems a shame.
Yes I just received the Sx90 tenor neck tight pads are ok but it is a amazing sax very free blowing !!

·
4,370 Posts
And you have money to spare to buy some mouthpieces if you wish, since you didn't spend the extra money on the NS SX90R!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,931 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts