Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a chart for My One and Only Love in Eb.
I hate the chart in C in the Real book , just not designed for a Sax to play in low register.
I can use a Bb chart in D but Eb would be My Ideal .

Thanks

Lenny

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
uh! you're starting on the wrong foot here in my opinion. transposition is the life of a sax player!
with this mindset, your journey will be a very frustrating one! embrace the fact saxes require transposition and learn how to deal with it.

you mention the song range not fitting the instrument registers. that's yet a different issue. saxes have limited range too. you can sure learn altissimo and play up there occasionally, but you can play below the lowest note on the sax. this is another thing that is part of playing sax. you have to learn to jump octaves on the fly as you play and the melody drifts outside the instrument range. playing off a Bb chart on alto just because it fits in the instrument range is not the solution either, unless you want to play in isolation forever.

Dave's video is a good reference. I feel everyone deals with transposition on their own way. the sooner you start the better you'll get at it sooner.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
In a 12 step program I might be called an "enabler", but I have come up with the chart requested if only to demonstrate an extremely easy way to do it. I also strongly agree with learning to transpose. It is like the "give a man a fish" parable. A pdf copy of the lead sheet in the key of Eb transposed for alto sax is provided below.

How to come up with it in less than 3 minutes (It takes longer to write out the directions than to do it)

- buy a version of Band in a Box (yeah this is the catch ;))
- go to the website http://bhs.minor9.com/biab/jazz/
- click M to find tunes that start with that letter
- find and click on My 1 and Only Love.mgu
- when the tune opens select the key you want it to be in
- click notation, and below it click the "opt" button
- go to "transpose" and select alto sax then click ok
- back on the notation page click print, and then click ok-preview graphics
- if it looks ok, then click print to pdf

You can then create a backing track in that key in the style and tempo you like and download it as a .wav file

·
Registered
708 Posts
Or just use Musescore, it's free.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Anyone have a chart for My One and Only Love in Eb.
I hate the chart in C in the Real book , just not designed for a Sax to play in low register.
I can use a Bb chart in D but Eb would be My Ideal .

Thanks

Lenny
I use to play it with a singer who’d call it in B.
You have to learn to transpose. It will help your ear also.

·
Registered
708 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts