Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to acquire a nice selmer airflow alto piece, though the tip opening is tiny. Like really tiny. (0.55 on alto!) Just wondering if anyone has had these refaced and opened with success? If so then how do you find the large chamber interact with a wider opening?

I believe it's one of the really old rare ones with large chambers. Thanks in advance for the help/comments/abuse.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I haven't had a Selmer Airflow refaced but I have had other very closed vintage large chamber pieces--a Goldbeck, for example. Results led me to believe I went too far. They were meant to be what they are; it's a different concept. Although it would be more expensive, I would suggest going a fair bit, say to .65, and then if you feel like it to .70. Because you may lose that special quality that these mouthpieces have.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have a Selmer Airflow refaced, very large round chamber. Erik G opened it up to a 0.076" and gave it a fair bit of baffle and a more Desmond-ish sound. Great sound, but I wanted a little more focus and volume so I closed the chamber down myself to a medium-large. It's my main piece on alto now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts