Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a vegetarian since 1969 and vegan for the last 3 years now and I don't own leather other than my tenor sax pads. I'd love to become totally leather free. I've seen gold pads mentioned somewhere in the past and was wondering if any of you have any experience with them.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,219 Posts
Jim schmidt makes those. Have not used them, but they claim to be very good.
$192 for the black ones, $255 for the gold. Alto or tenor.

My main tenor is only 2 years old, so no need yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
there are other and less particular pads made of synthetic material made by most pad makers

Having said that

I am not sure, this may be a new pad

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
These pads have been on the market for some time now. Players and techs seem to be divided. Some like them a lot and some dislike them a lot. Those who dislike the pads say they feel hard, they are noisy, and they produce a bright, edgy sound. Those who like the pads praise them for the response due to the the fact they are airtight, and those players like the edge and volume they can achieve with the pads. Basically they play acoustically as if an oversize resonator covered the entire tonehole. In other words, all of the sound wave is reflected with very little energy lost by absorption. On the negative side they are quite expensive and tricky to install since the tonehole an key cup prep must be perfect. On the positive side, they stay in adjustment and seem to last forever. It is all a matter of taste like a lot of other things saxophone related.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
That looks like a very cool idea. It makes you wonder why it took so long for someone to come up with it. Does it really work, Jim? That's the big question. Most people would be happy to pay more for pads if they actually seal better than traditional ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm concerned that the only way to know how they will change the sound of my horn is to spend a goodly sum of money. I have always used Music Medic standard pads and get the full darker type of sound from my 'Crat 156. I wouldn't want to brighten my sound. I guess if I was wealthy I would try this out and reverse it if I didn't like it. I'd love to hear from someone who has made the switch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
These pads have been on the market for some time now. Players and techs seem to be divided. Some like them a lot and some dislike them a lot. Those who dislike the pads say they feel hard, they are noisy, and they produce a bright, edgy sound. Those who like the pads praise them for the response due to the the fact they are airtight, and those players like the edge and volume they can achieve with the pads. Basically they play acoustically as if an oversize resonator covered the entire tonehole. In other words, all of the sound wave is reflected with very little energy lost by absorption. On the negative side they are quite expensive and tricky to install since the tonehole an key cup prep must be perfect. On the positive side, they stay in adjustment and seem to last forever. It is all a matter of taste like a lot of other things saxophone related.
If the pads are that resilient to breaking down, they may be worth the cost of admission. 🤔

Tricky part seems to be finding a tech that is familiar with installing them. That's an expensive set to simply have someone give it their best first attempt.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts