Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you consider trading a Mark IV alto for a SBA alto a trade of equal value, and has anyone ever done so?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think a 5 digit mk6 is always going to be more valuable than an SBA .

As you say of equal value, I assume you are talking about a later mk6.

So, it comes down to which one you prefer. It really does. Can you try them side by side?

You could have ten people here tell you the same thing, but are you really going to buy based on what they say.

For what it is worth, I play a 5 digit alto and it is the best ive played out of dozens. But ive played a couple of superb SBA altos which I would have taken before a later mk6.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,921 Posts
Would you consider trading a Mark IV alto for a SBA alto a trade of equal value, and has anyone ever done so?
Not exactly a trade (and I presume toys mean MKVI not MKIV which would be a BA?) but I sold my MKVI so that then had enough money to be both a nice BA also and a lovely Rudall carte wooden flute.

The MKVI alto was a low A.

Current prices I would say are about equal a so swap may well be good idea if you like the other horn.

I now play a SBA alto in preference to a MKVI.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I didn't exactly trade them, but about 25 years ago I sold my VI to pay for my SBA. I think the VI sold for more, but my SBA is a relaq, and not a very good one, but plays great.

So I guess this doesn't really help you...

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
I traded my SBA plus $ for a new VI in 1960. Very happy with the deal, still have the VI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it really depends on the trends at the time. Some big name player will be like "OMG, my VI is garbage, check out this SBA I am playing now"... and then people will start swapping around. Its like fashion, things come and go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,861 Posts
in my neck of the woods, when it comes to altos, Mark VIs are more expensive than SBAs, which may reach prices shared by late Mark VI ( some of which are every bit as goos as earlier ones). So, no, I wouldn’t trade a SBA for a Mark VI but every rule has its exception

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I had a beautiful, almost mint SBA stolen years ago and when I shopped for a replacement, I found a poorly re-lacquered King Super 20 that just sounded better than the Selmers I was was trying.
I think some of the things I like about Mark VI tenors doesn’t carry over to the altos. It almost seems they have a certain “whine” I don’t care for.
Again, I’m not the right person to ask but I think a late SBA would be close to an early Mark VI.
If I was in the market for a Selmer alto, I would go for a Balanced Action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts