Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever seen one with "C*" stamped on the shank like this? I think I've seen a few for sale on ebay over the years, but this is the first that I've ever run across in person. For the most part it looks like a typical short shank Soloist, but it doesn't have anything stamped on the table. It looks like maybe it was refaced after the fact, but I doubt that would have taken off enough material to totally remove the markings that usually appear on the table (they are pretty deep). Also, on the shank, you can just barely see the wreath design, but it isn't raised. I guess it could have been buffed down, but why buff just the shank? Any ideas?

View attachment 220946 View attachment 220948

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Anyone ever seen one with "C*" stamped on the shank like this? I think I've seen a few for sale on ebay over the years, but this is the first that I've ever run across in person. For the most part it looks like a typical short shank Soloist, but it doesn't have anything stamped on the table. It looks like maybe it was refaced after the fact, but I doubt that would have taken off enough material to totally remove the markings that usually appear on the table (they are pretty deep). Also, on the shank, you can just barely see the wreath design, but it isn't raised. I guess it could have been buffed down, but why buff just the shank? Any ideas?

View attachment 220946 View attachment 220948
Yes, the later ones weren't stamped on the table but there should be a marking on top. Kenny Garrett plays one like this but it's more open. Don't have any work done to it, you'll ruin the value. Good luck with it.

Phil Barone

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the later ones weren't stamped on the table but there should be a marking on top. Kenny Garrett plays one like this but it's more open. Don't have any work done to it, you'll ruin the value. Good luck with it.

Phil Barone
Yeah, but those were the long shank ones (that weren't stamped on the table). This is a short shank. Also, maybe you can't see it well in the pics, but the C* is actually marked on the shank (on the raised area where there is usually the wreath design), not on the barrel.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Yeah, but those were the long shank ones (that weren't stamped on the table). This is a short shank. Also, maybe you can't see it well in the pics, but the C* is actually marked on the shank (on the raised area where there is usually the wreath design), not on the barrel.
Oh, I’ve seen the short shank ones with nothing on the table. Now, please tell me what you’re having for dinner. Thanks! Phil

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I’ve seen the short shank ones with nothing on the table. Now, please tell me what you’re having for dinner. Thanks! Phil
Interesting. I've seen tons of long shank ones (known as "Soloist style") with nothing on the table, but I've maybe only seen a couple shortys without it, so I assumed it was not in regular production. Well, it is what it is, and it seems in all other ways to be identical to any other short shank Soloist.

As far dinner, my fridge is bare bc I'm heading out of town tomorrow, so it'll probably be take out from the Italian place (Tenuta's) around the corner. Don't worry, it's legit!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Interesting. I've seen tons of long shank ones (known as "Soloist style") with nothing on the table, but I've maybe only seen a couple shortys without it, so I assumed it was not in regular production. Well, it is what it is, and it seems in all other ways to be identical to any other short shank Soloist.

As far dinner, my fridge is bare bc I'm heading out of town tomorrow, so it'll probably be take out from the Italian place (Tenuta's) around the corner. Don't worry, it's legit!
Sounds good. What do you order? I always order the same thing from the place I go to. Chicken parmigiana and Cesar salad. Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I had one in a D that was like that without the scroll. It was superior to any other short shank I had. Like a dummy I gave it away with a horn. I used it for about 10 years.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
Sounds good. What do you order? I always order the same thing from the place I go to. Chicken parmigiana and Cesar salad. Phil
You’d better skip the Cesar tonight. Romaine recall for ecoli contamination.
I’ve never seen one like that for tenor or alto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts