Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was bored the other day and got my Tenor rubber Berg Larsen mouthpiece (SMS, 100, 2) and put it on my Alto sax with an Alto 2.5 plasticover reed. I had to push it way into the neck, and it barely stayed on, but good grief I REALLY liked the sound! And now I'm even thinking of buying a berg for my alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
May I suggest that you try it with a baritone reed...even better sound in my view. It could well be the tenor mouthpiece sound that you really like, the fact that you tried a Berg could be incidental. Do watch your intonation however.

·
6,715 Posts
I always shave the edges of baritone reeds to match the width of the tenor mouthpiece. This increases the response, as one does not have to overcome the inertia of two useless lumps of timber flapping about on the edges. Another side benefit is no more sore lips caused by the reed overhang.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a feeling that what you liked about the tenor mpc has to do with the fact that every part of the mouthpiece is huge relative to the parts of an alto mpc. I think you will find that an alto Berg will not have the same characteristics because it probably has nothing to do with the design so much as the large bore and chamber. I would suggest trying a large chamber mpc because it may be that it was the "big-ness" you liked so much.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Actually, using a tenor piece on an alto was not that uncommon. Cutting the shank down will help with the intonation. A great example of a player using a tenor piece on Alto is Gene Quill. There's a duet album with Phil Woods that smokes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm listening to "Phil & Quill with Prestige" right now and it's really hard to tell them apart, so I'd say yes he did play in tune with his tenor mouthpiece. And yes it was his regular setup. Remember there's only a whole step difference in the tuning of an Alto and a Tenor mouthpiece.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
That is related more to the size of the sax than the mouthpiece. If you use a tenor mouthpiece on alto, I think you will need to still shoot for the alto MP target pitch to play in tune with the least amont of embouchure adjustments across the range of the sax.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I have a HR Berg 125 alto piece that I set up for use with a tenor reed - it's wild how loud it can be played without the tone thinning out.

·
6,715 Posts
How about a baritone mouthpiece on a tenor....anyone use this set-up?

·
2,772 Posts
Captain Beeflat said:
How about a baritone mouthpiece on a tenor....anyone use this set-up?
I tried sticking my bari Metalite on my tenor, but it didn't work out to well, if I remember correctly. Kind of a loud, buzzy, thin, flabby tone. That probably has to do with the enormous baffle and the huge (for tenor) chamber.

·
6,715 Posts
Thanks dirty; just knew that someone must have tried it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tenor reed on alto

JSaxMiller said:
Actually, using a tenor piece on an alto was not that uncommon. Cutting the shank down will help with the intonation. A great example of a player using a tenor piece on Alto is Gene Quill. There's a duet album with Phil Woods that smokes.
I've also read that Charlie Parker at one time played with a tenor reed on an alto sax (in his younger days). He was also taught how to cut his own reeds.

What does one do, typically, when cutting one's own reeds, or sanding them, etc. Or, what can one typically do with a reed to improve it.

(sorry for lack of question marks, faulty keyboard)

·
Registered
116 Posts
i tried tenor reeds on alto mouthpiece

I remember really liking the open feel of a #5 tenor royal on a metal alto MP. it also mellowed the sound too.
I had to push in a bit too far to reach A440 though so the tuning was a mess - but actually it was very flexible so it seemed great for vocal style.

·
Registered
98 Posts
wow!

I just tried my link 5* on my alto

it sounds nice!

I didn't have any tenor reeds on me, so I used an alto vandoren java 3.5

The tuning is kinda weird, but since the chamber is all pretty small, its not that hard just to push in a bit. Wow thanks for bringing this up! otherwise I never woud lhave tried it!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
SaxFlutist said:
What does one do, typically, when cutting one's own reeds, or sanding them, etc. Or, what can one typically do with a reed to improve it.
I don't know squat about this but understand that
this is an invaluable resource that pays for itself
(I don't own an interest) :

http://www.ridenourclarinetproducts.com/ATG1.html

If I ever go off synth reeds, or even try seriously
I'd want to try this.

rabbitus saxus flatus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts