Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played Bass Clarinet in a teacher wind ensemble a years ago. I was using 3/3.5 reeds - It felt very clarinet-y and not very pleasant. It seemed like it should have been easier. So a year goes by and I purchase a used Vandoren B45 Mouthpiece. Just last week I thought I give bass clarinet another try to I got a Bundy for $166 on E-bay.

On a whim, I had a Legere Studio 1 1/2 Reed (not sure why I had this reed but it was in my drawer) so I put this on the B45 and BAM - the instrument was effortless - High - Low no worries. Now 1 1/2 is a little too soft so I ordered a 2 to see if I can get a bit more meat in the sound while retaining the ease of play.

I guess I would never have thought to go to the soft side with bass clarinet.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I played Bass Clarinet in a teacher wind ensemble a years ago. I was using 3/3.5 reeds - It felt very clarinet-y and not very pleasant. It seemed like it should have been easier. So a year goes by and I purchase a used Vandoren B45 Mouthpiece. Just last week I thought I give bass clarinet another try to I got a Bundy for $166 on E-bay.

On a whim, I had a Legere Studio 1 1/2 Reed (not sure why I had this reed but it was in my drawer) so I put this on the B45 and BAM - the instrument was effortless - High - Low no worries. Now 1 1/2 is a little too soft so I ordered a 2 to see if I can get a bit more meat in the sound while retaining the ease of play.

I guess I would never have thought to go to the soft side with bass clarinet.

I like a softer reed on bs clarinet too, I've been using a 2 1/2 legere on my Hite mpc but its a bit too resistant so Im going to order a 2 1/4.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,933 Posts
I love soft reeds on the bass and try to use the softest reeds I can get away with. That's usually a vandoren 2.5 for me. It's been liberating. I feel like I'm playing better than ever now that I know how to relax.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I use Vandoren 3's with a Fobes San Fran CF (1.70). Anything harder, and I can't adjust pitch the way I need to on my 1971-vintage Selmer 33. I grew up listening to Don Carroll's bass playing in the SF Symphony; that's my ideal, and I can't get that light, pure sound with a tongue depressor strapped to your mouthpiece. And it's too much work.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm on 2 1/2 legere signature on a clark forbes debut. I think, that's pretty light, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts