Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just accepted and invited to perform with the Macy's Great American Marching Band for the 2012 parade and I was wondering if there were any other members going.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I just found out I was accepted. Hi, my name is Asher. I'm an alto sax player from southern Mississippi. Kind of a rural area. I got accepted without having to send in an audition tape though, cause I'm a member of the Mississippi Lions All-State Band and I guess that was decent enough to exempt me. Anyway, can't wait to meet you there hopefully. I don't know how many sax players get accepted but I don't imagine it'd be more than... 15? MS Lions Band accepts 6 alto saxes and the band is 145. So 185 in the Macy's band... I would imagine 10-12 at most.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Asher, my name is Eugene. I'm also an alto sax player from small-ish town in Texas called College Station, the home of the aggies (not a big fan). And I don't think it'll be to hard for us to meet in New York, since I don't think there will be no more than 10 altos seeing from the pictures from the past

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sweet. I just found out about this band a week ago to be honest. My band director mailed a letter to me written by someone who said I could apply without an audition tape needed. So I did and found out today that I'm in it. I'm excited.

I want to go to the University of North Texas for Music Education after I graduate from high school. I go to a high school of about 600 students. I live in the second smallest town in Mississippi (210 people), only beaten out by Golden, MS (maybe 190 or so). haha But I'm certainly not a country ******* or anything like that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's great. None of the band members bothered to even look at this band... And I'm also thinking about UNT for Music Ed. or Jazz Studies or Florida State University since I'm graduating next year. Most likely ending up in UNT.

And about your school size, it's probably better than school of over 2400...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe. But we don't have a lot of options at our school. My cousin goes to Florida State University (or will in the fall). She graduated recently from Cypress Bay High School. Such a great school that the Vice President was there this Monday to give the Commencement Speech. Pretty cool. Anyway, that's cool you're thinking of UNT. I will only go if I can get like an ACT scholarship and get out-of-state tuition waived. But I don't know how often they give that out. Anyway, I come from a band of about... 30-40 students. Not a great band but not terrible either. 4 sax players altogether.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts