Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried all the sizes from 6* to 8 today as I was curious. They all sounded better than the 8* I walked in with. The 7 was my favourite. All metal links. Anyone else had this experience. I can only assume I picked too larger a tip opening when I was young and reckless.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Mike, in my experience, I've noticed there is a pretty fine balance between tip opening and baffle size. I find a larger tip (say 8* and up) works better with a bit higher baffle to fatten up the sound and keep it from getting too bright or thin (which the higher baffle tends to do). With a low rollover baffle, the larger tip might result in a too dark or tubby sound.

Seems like a standard Link with large chamber and low rollover baffle works best in the 6* to 7* range. If you add baffle to it, then you'd want to increase tip size and vice versa (maybe).

To sum it up: In general, higher baffle needs a larger tip, and low baffle needs a smaller tip. But you have to find the right combination for your sound concept.

Caveat: I'm no expert on mpc design; this is just something I've observed. Best to play several and pick the one you like!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I used to play a .160 Florida Link STM that I got from one of my teachers (Don Englert), which he got from Don Menza. I loved it - no GAS then, but then it was ripped off on a show. I was forced to go smaller, that was a few years ago, and I continued to go with smaller openings - I now prefer to play in the .085-.100 range. I enjoy the focus and flexibility that a smaller piece gives me, but from time to time I miss the presence of the huge tip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yes, that is my experience too. I have no problem playing a 10, I just don't like the sound as much as a 7*. I had quite a struggle with my psyche coming off a 10.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Mike, in my experience, I've noticed there is a pretty fine balance between tip opening and baffle size. I find a larger tip (say 8* and up) works better with a bit higher baffle to fatten up the sound and keep it from getting too bright or thin (which the higher baffle tends to do). With a low rollover baffle, the larger tip might result in a too dark or tubby sound.

Seems like a standard Link with large chamber and low rollover baffle works best in the 6* to 7* range. If you add baffle to it, then you'd want to increase tip size and vice versa (maybe).

To sum it up: In general, higher baffle needs a larger tip, and low baffle needs a smaller tip. But you have to find the right combination for your sound concept.

Caveat: I'm no expert on mpc design; this is just something I've observed. Best to play several and pick the one you like!
I believe you are correct about chambers and baffles.

When I bought a Link the 8 was the best playing one due to their shaky quality control.

From my experience you just get the one that plays best regardless of size.

You don't have the luxury of looking for a size.

Later I found a nice NY Link in a 9. But that was a few years ago.

I went to the same store a few months back and I wouldn't give $.25 for any of the new batch that the store had.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I was playing on an RPC rollover that measured .135 for awhile. I really liked the sound, but the lay was too long for me. I had to stuff too much mouthpiece in my mouth. Then I tried a bunch of links, and settled on a .120 that Brian Powell had worked on--no added baffle.

About a year ago, I got an STM 9 that Doc Tenney had worked on. It's a great piece!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
You seem to be contradicting yourself there. Do you see where?

My experience would argue your last sentence is right. I went from a Berg 115/2 (medium-high baffle) to a STM 8*, chosen because the tip measure was the same. But the STM proved to be way too hard to blow, especially in the lower register. I went to a 7* (.105") and it was much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts