Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing in an electric semi-original Blooze band for a few months now after playing weddings and events in a GB band for 4 years. I'm given a lot of space for improvisation, and go for it often.

I'm finding that I'm doing what I did in similar bands years ago: Each solo is the response to the last solo I played in the same song from the gig before. I have no desire to try to play the same solo again. My bandmates get a big kick out of it, and the groupies are starting to figure it out, but I wonder if I should be doing this or not.

I remember being on stage at foxwoods with this big "Luther V" style singer for a 3 night stint a few years ago. On the first night, he threw me a solo starting on the bridge of Unchained Melody. My tenor flew into the altissimo stratosphere during one of those rhythm section/sax meld moments you dream of. The solo was a true thing of beauty that led into his verse showing off his own high range. That song was the big hit of the night.

The following night, after working a full day at the dealership and driving two hours, I hopped on stage for night two. Halfway through the gig, the singer announced the song Unchained Melody. He said that he and the sax player were going to do something real special. He then looked at me and said: "Just like last night?" And I replied: "What did we do last night?" I scared the living pizza out of him. (He actually got pale!;) )

I didn't leave him lacking, but it was a totally different solo that peaked a little higher than the last night. Later he said: "Don't scare me like that man, I almost sheat!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
You have groupies:shock:

Do they follow you around from the nursing home or something?:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Man, those are the nurses and the security staff.

Was one of them asking you to try on an off-white jacket?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
My band KNOWS that they're not going to get the same thing out of me from night to night.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Martinman said:

Now THAT'S funny!!!:salute:

·
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Martinman said:

Yes, I have a bus pick them up with their morphine an hour before the gig. (wisenheimer!)

C'mon, all sax players have groupies whether they like it or not. Ask my wife!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Absolutely! I make an effort to play something different each time in my solos and even, on occasion, I'll use a different riff or horn line than I normally use. It gets boring real fast to play everything the same way. Sometimes I catch myself playing almost the same solo and it bothers me a bit when that happens. It's easy to get in a rut. OTOH, you when you do play a real good solo, it's worthwhile to hang onto some of that for the future--this way your solos can evolve in a positive direction over time. If I discover a real cool intro into a solo, or a specific lick I really like that suits the tune, I'll use it pretty regularly.

Hey, Marty, I probably should know this, but I gotta ask: What's a "GB band?"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
martysax said:
I've been playing in an electric semi-original Blooze band for a few months now after playing weddings and events in a GB band for 4 years. I'm given a lot of space for improvisation, and go for it often.

I'm finding that I'm doing what I did in similar bands years ago: Each solo is the response to the last solo I played in the same song from the gig before. I have no desire to try to play the same solo again. My bandmates get a big kick out of it, and the groupies are starting to figure it out, but I wonder if I should be doing this or not. "

I do the same thing. Sometimes to a fault. If I hear my line going in a familiar direction I try to mix it up just to stay hip. I do this with mixed results. Sometimes its great(luck) or sometimes it sucks (Which I would expect cause I'm not playing what I am hearing).
Actually if you think about it, you (I mean ME) avoiding playing what you are hearing just to play something different.
:?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Absolutely. I've turned down gigs cause they wanted the stock solos. I can play them; but so can my I-Pod. Occasionally a singer might say something and I'll reply "If you sing it exactly like the original then I'll play it like the original." Then I can't help but smile at them when they start cracking notes and missing inflections that Stevie Wonder or Aretha Franklin would do.

There are some tunes that kind of call for nothing less. It's as if the solo is a written part of the song. Phil's solo on "Just the Way You Are" (which is WAAAAYYYY over played by now, yes) is a good example. But still, I like to throw a spin on it, especially if the singer starts cheezing it up too much. "Don't go Chan-Ginnnnn, yeah..."

I'm not really all that into the GB thing though. That's why I likes the rock-n-rolly and the jazzy musics.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Martinman said:
You won't at IU either. There's WAYYYY too many sax players there already.

'Oh my gawwad Ralphie, take me back to the quad, all these musicians make me barf...'

·
4,147 Posts
hakukani said:
You won't at IU either. There's WAYYYY too many sax players there already.

'Oh my gawwad Ralphie, take me back to the quad, all these musicians make me barf...'

I have been told that piano is the way to go to pick up chicks at college. Although the guy who told me this was stood up by his wife on their first date...on his birthday...

My friend's older sister says I will have no problems with getting girls in college because I am so tall.

·
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Martinman said:
I have been told that piano is the way to go to pick up chicks at college. Although the guy who told me this was stood up by his wife on their first date...on his birthday....
Don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. :!:

Martinman said:
My friend's older sister says I will have no problems with getting girls in college because I am so tall.

Ask her out. She sounds like a keeper.;)

·
4,147 Posts
martysax said:
Ask her out. She sounds like a keeper.;)

She is married.

That might not stop you, but it would stop me...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Live a little! And the only reason the pianist gets the girls is because most people pronounce "pianist" wrong.

·
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ianhart said:
Live a little! And the only reason the pianist gets the girls is because most people pronounce "pianist" wrong.

This is normally where I would speak about a certain articulate intellectual. A cunning ................ language arts person thingy.

·
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Martinman said:
She is married.

That might not stop you, but it would stop me...
That's right, I've been in love with a married woman for over 20 years!

Dude, see if the married sister has any friends. Trust me, keep at it. Invite one to a gig. The networking and experience will pay off!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts