Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to ask that anyone compare before a yani s901 with a P Mauriat 76 sop? I just curious about what the 76 will sound like.Heard some many of interesting comment about P Mauriat..Anyway I owned a yani s901. Its play well, just not the sound I'm looking for.. I searching for a more brighter sound cause when I play, I have to squeeze through the electric guitar. Thanks for any input:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
hi Alex, I am looking for a sop too and after my research the P.mauriats are much darker than other brands.
With your yani do you could reach many sounds styles changing MPC and reeds. try it before you let your great sax go

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's for sure....I try of using a beechler bellite 9 before and currently using a super session H on it... it sound great just not enough edge to cut through my church musician's electric guitar. So I have to search around to see what I can get.....:|

·
Registered
496 Posts
The P. Mauriat system 76 soprano is dark, but very freeblowing, you could also check into the P. Mauriat PMSS 64, different sound color but very freeblowing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I've use the mic. What I mean is that it just don't have the edge to cut through it not a louder sound. I need a brighter sound to hep me with that. Thanks for all the help given. Happy playing;)

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Alex -

It depends on what mouthpiece you are using on the Yani. I would urge you to bring it to a music shop and try out some metal pieces - like Dukoff or Yani - and see if you like your sound better.

Also, if your Yani does not have metal resonators, maybe you get a set and have it put on it.

If all fails, try a Yamaha sop and see if you like the sound better. Yami sops are bright, in my opinion.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah.....I try a yss-475 before but the sound was kinda 'thin' for my taste. I like the yani better compare to the yss475. It is more 'rounded' . I'll use a beechler bellite 9 on my sop before. but the tip opening is too big for me. I'm thinking of trade it for a metal mpc. I hope that this october I'll be free to go to Singapore to have a test on the system 76 sop.

·
14,268 Posts
Alex: I just acquired an S901 - superb soprano, in my view. Better than any PM I've tried, including the 76 (tested at NAMM last Janiuray).

I had the neck cork replaced yesterday to fit my Morgan Vintage pieces. While having that done, I tested a few mouthpieces (at Scimonettis). He gave me two Vandoren V16 pieces (7 and 8 size), and two gold-plated JodyJazz pieces (didn't note the tip openings) to try.

The Vandorens played nicely, the JJ's were REALLY huge in sound - so big that I couldn't find the center of the tone (oh I suppose I could have if I spent enough time with them).

Then, when the cork was fitted, I tried my Morgan Vintage 7 on the S901. Wow! For me, it was the best of both world's, smooth like the Vandorens, about 1/3 stronger than the Vandortens, and it gave me a true tonal center where my pitch wasn't all over the place.

You need to try different mouthpieces on that S901. My S901 is every bit as nice as my S992 (considered to be "dark" by most players, although I'm not comfortable with that description) and the fixed neck eliminates some minor hassles. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Dave: You feel that the 901 is as good as the 992? I hear you about the fixed neck. Any downside in this comparison? I'm very close to springing for a Yani sop, and if I'm convinced the 901 is that good, I'll save some bucks. Thanks!

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Alex -

I think you should listen to Dave and try different mpcs on that Yani before parting with it.

PM makes good tenors and altos, but like I said, in the sop market, it is nowhere near Yani, Yami, or RC.

·
14,268 Posts
Reed: Yes, EVERY bit as good. I bought my S992 new a few years ago - it has been a wonderful modern soprano. I had it overhauled by Jim Scimonetti's shop late last year and the S992 was even better then before.

However, I had a hankerin' for an S901 and Tom Mayho brought his new one to my gig several weeks ago. He'd bought his new from Dave Kessler. I played it for a set - and alongside my S992.

THAT did it for me. I went on the hunt and ended up with one (S901) from eBay, offered by Wichitaband in Kansas. They claimed to have sold it new four years ago and said it looked like the buyer blew maybe five notes through it.

Everything they claimed appeared to be true. The horn is a real player. DAVE

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had an S901 about 2 years ago, and I sold it because it would always gurgle around low register F and below. It was a really good sounding horn, and except for that problem, I would have kept it.
Around the same time period, I tried out a S992; it was slightly warmer sounding that the S901, but I was mostly impressed with the feel and ergonomics of that horn. It had the best ergonomics of any horn I have ever played. However, the sound difference, as compared to the 901, wasn't enough for me to keep it.
I also tried a Yamaha 475 side by side with the S901; it was smaller and brighter sounding, and I wasn't impressed with it.
I just got a PM 64 about 2 months ago; it is the darkest soprano I have ever played, and has a big sound. I am having to use a slightly bright mouthpiece to make it play like I want. I read the PM 76 is slightly brighter than the 64.

So Alex, I will rank the horns I have tried/own in the order of brightest to darkest, since you asked.
Yamaha 475, Antigua 590LQ, S901, S992, Conn New Wonder II, PM SS-64. Based on my subjective ranking, I'll recommending you try out a Yamaha 475 or Antigua 590LQ, or to save money, go for a brighter sounding mouthpiece on your S901.
OO

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the input....I'll try with different mpc to see what is the outcome...I'm thinking of trade off my Beechler Bellite 9 mpc. Is there anyone interested?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow, been thru this myself at several churches. Having been in that situation I got rid of some very good equipment and ended up with the brightest loudest setup I could find. Then when in other situations I realized what a mistake that was.

There is something to remember. You picked the horn setup because you liked the sound/feel. Don't get too far away from it.

The reality is you will have a very difficult time competing with a guitar. You can't hear yourself and for what ever reason the guitar always gets 1st place in the mix. I know churches don't like it but sometimes we have to ask to get help hearing. I bought a personal monitor so I didn't blow my brains out and wreck my embouchure.

I do agree a metal mouthpiece such as a Dukoff may be a good way to go. Just don't give up a great setup because everyone else is too loud.

·
6,831 Posts
I use a Rovner #7 Metal on my Winston soprano. Easy to control, cuts like a knife. For quiet chamber settings I use a Pomarico Crystal #3. Harder to hit the high notes, but very mellow and smooth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts