Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Having recently bought a YAS-23 as a back up alto, have made it not so back up. I have been used to using the top F# key for that note on my main alto, but using the harmonic on the 23.

The YAS-32 has an top F# key. However, I am wondering if anyone can verify that the 23 and 32 were identical apart from this different key, or are they made of different brass? Fundamentally, I'm considering a 32 also if it is identical (soundwise) but with the F# addition.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Rico

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Might help if you'd say which country you are in.

The European market 32 is the same sax as the US market 52.

C

·
0 Posts
Here's some links from Yamaha's website. It shows the features of the horns you're talking about.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesListHE/0,,CTID%253D240400%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT%2526HST%253DY,00.html

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/PopUpText/0,,CNTID%25253D15129%252526CTID%25253D,00.html

By browsing through the links, you can compare the 21,23, 475, 575, 34, 62, 62II ...
As you will see, the 21,23,475 all have the student body and older style neck.

As for the European models being the same, I don't know. The US website shows the 52 as having the same body as the 21,23,475. While the 34 has the 62II style body.
Maybe Yamaha is wrong ? Maybe not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Doug R and Toobz.

I am based in London, UK.

Have looked through the links, thanks. It does say that the current models have replaced the older i.e. 475 for 52 (which was a 32 in Europe) but I can't seem to find any info that says that the 32/52 and 23 shared same body/brass.

Will keep looking though. Hopefully, someone may have owned/own a 23 and 32/52 and thus can input here.

Many thanks

Rico

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Some major differences between the 23 and 32 are:

The 23 has:
nickel plated keys and fittings,
no high F# key,
no low B-C# link,
fixed bar for long Bb and F#-G# adjusting screws,
domed plastic 'pearl' on the front F key,
keyguards with non adjustable felts,
LH pinky keys are mounted on more pillars at the top end,
no body to bow ring/clamp,
bell brace is solid brass and soldered onto the bell and only attached by a single screw to the body,
8ve mechanism is more like a Bundy and the 8ve key is mounted to the right of the thumb button,

The 32 has:
all lacquered finish including keys,
62 style keywork (to high F# and low B-C# link),
adjustable bar for long Bb and F#-G# adjusting screws,
seperate body to bow ring,
'stirrup' style bell brace with 2 screws,
large adjustable keyguard felts without screws,
contoured clothes guard,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
I owned a 23 and a 32 alto at the same time. The 32 was a vastly better sax. Both were set up well, and the 23 was a fine beginner sax . . . but it couldn't touch the tone of the 32.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris - very detailed descriptions, appreciated. Imagine that they would sound different then due to the body changes to bow etc., even if made from same brass. Not sure of the keywork being nickle would change the sound signiificantly....? Wonder if the 32 is more like the 62 in sound than the 23.

Fred, thanks also. From your opinion, that is a good sign for the 32. I love the 23's core sound, so if the 32 is an improvement - I think I will keep my eyes peeled for one.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The 32 is a relatively rare sax in the UK - about ten years back the YAS25L (successor to the 23) could be had for about £550. - the YAS32 about £950 and the YAS 62 - about £1100... and the 875/855 £2K+

So most folks went 23 or 62.
That said I have known canny professionals go for the 32 - and they can often be had at attractive prices secondhand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Fred said:
I owned a 23 and a 32 alto at the same time. The 32 was a vastly better sax. Both were set up well, and the 23 was a fine beginner sax . . . but it couldn't touch the tone of the 32.
Yes, I owned a new 32, briefly, about 20 years ago....had it checked-out by a pro who was in the shop, as a customer, when I bought it (he played with Level 42!).
He was very complimentary about its tone and quality.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I've known some people to choose the 32 over the 62 for the simple reason they don't like the bell engraving on the 62!

Then again, some people went straight for the 62 because they didn't like the bell logo on the 32 with the full company info printed on it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm... as ever, the only way I think is to blow them side by side. Funny how some people do not like engraving or company logos - as long as it sounds good, am sure that they'll forgot the looks (to an extent!).

Thanks for the input all. The 32 definitely sounds a good horn from these comments, now I'll just have to try to blow one at some stage.....

C

·
0 Posts
The 32II is engraved "Allegro " and not imprinted like the earlier 32.
As for the other differences, the 32II has the G-1 neck which I believe
is the major difference in sound between the 23,52 and the 32,62 series.

If I owned a 23, I would definetly try a G-1 neck on it. From what I've heard,
Yamaha sells them pretty cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts